Putin warns against bypassing UNSC Syria vetoJuly 21st, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin opposes any action related to Syria not authorised by the UN Security Council, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday.
“In the Russian president’s opinion, any attempt to act without the Security Council’s approval will be inefficient and will undermine the authority of this international organisation,” the spokesman said.
After Russia and China vetoed the Western-backed UN Security Council resolution, American ambassador to the UN Susan Rice said the US and its partners “have no choice but to look to partnerships and actions outside of this council to protect the Syrian people”.
Putin met members of Russia’s Security Council delegation Friday to discuss the latest developments on Syria, including the veto.
“Members of Russia’s Security Council stressed that attempts to link the aggravating situation in Syria to Russia’s stance were inappropriate and inadmissible,” Peskov said.
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia, China veto West's UN draft resolution on Syria (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Putin to cheer for Russian judokas in Olympics - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia retains stance on Syria after presidential poll - Mar 07, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Russia, Britain to boost cooperation on Syria - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in Syria - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: american ambassador, attempts, delegation, international organisation, moscow, partnerships, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, russia, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, security council resolution, spokesman, susan rice, syria, un security council, unsc, vd, veto, vladimir putin