Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisisJuly 16th, 2012 - 10:00 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan in Moscow July 17 to discuss the Syria crisis, the Kremlin said.
“In the course of the forthcoming visit, Russia intends to reaffirm its support for the peace plan proposed by Kofi Annan to settle the crisis in Syria by political and diplomatic means,” a statement said Sunday.
“Russia proceeds from the fact that this plan is the sole viable platform to solve internal Syrian problems,” it said.
Annan will arrive in Russia for a two-day visit July 16-17. This would be the second visit to Moscow by the special envoy in four months.
The conflict, which began in March last year, has left between 13,000 and 17,000 people dead, according to Syrian rights activists quoted by the UN.
Russia has repeatedly voiced support for the Annan-proposed peace plan in Syria, which requires a ceasefire by the government forces and the armed opposition and the start of a political dialogue between them.
The peace plan has failed so far. On Thursday, western countries - members of the UN Security Council - began talks on a Syria resolution and gave President Bashar al-Assad 10 days to comply with a previously agreed peace plan or face punishment ranging from diplomatic and economic sanctions to the use of military force.
Russia said it would veto the Western-backed draft if it is put to a vote at the UN Security Council.
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: arab league, bashar al assad, ceasefire, economic sanctions, face punishment, forthcoming visit, government forces, members of the un security council, peace plan, political dialogue, president bashar, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, un security council, viable platform, vladimir putin, voiced support, western countries