Putin to hold talks with AhmadinejadJune 3rd, 2012 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad next week prior to an international round of talks on Iran’s nuclear programme, a presidential aide said Sunday.
The meeting will allow Putin to “feel the heat surrounding the Iranian problem and see how this issue is perceived in Tehran”, said Yuri Ushakov, an advisor to Putin on foreign policy.
Putin will meet with Ahmadinejad on the sidelines of the 12th Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit to be held June 6-7 in Beijing.
Iran is an observer nation at the SCO. The meeting will be held before world powers gather in Moscow June 18-19 to discuss Iran’s nuclear programme.
“We weren’t too happy with the results of the last round of talks, but we determined the mutual readiness to continue the discussion,” Ushakov said.
At the Moscow meeting, Russia will “promote the thought that Iran’s right to develop peaceful energy under the oversight of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) should be approved.”
In Beijing, Putin will also meet with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai, Ushakov said, adding that negotiations with Karzai will be “interesting and useful” for both Russia and Afghanistan.
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Putin to undertake Middle East tour - Jun 25, 2012
- Putin, Obama to meet at G20 summit in June - May 30, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran questions upcoming n-talks 'with no agenda' - Jun 07, 2012
- Putin, Obama meet constructive : Kremlin aide - Jun 23, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- No gas deal during Putin's China visit: Moscow - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: afghanistan president hamid, atomic energy agency, counterpart, hamid karzai, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, june 3, mahmoud ahmadinejad, peaceful energy, president hamid karzai, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, sco, shanghai cooperation organisation, sidelines, vladimir putin, yuri