Putin, Obama meet constructive : Kremlin aideJune 23rd, 2012 - 8:23 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Barack Obama had a “constructive and frank” meeting, showing a desire of both the leaders to strengthen bilateral strategic cooperation, said a Russian presidential aide.
Putin and Obama exchanged invitations to visit each other’s country during their meeting held on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Mexico, said Yury Ushakov.
“Putin invited Obama to visit Russia; Obama invited Putin. They agreed to keep in contact by phone,” Ushakov said, refuting media reports that painted the meeting between the two leaders as difficult and rigid.
In fact, the media treated the meeting as virtually the centerpiece of the G20 summit, he said.
“A number of US pundits drew the hasty conclusion that the talks had been difficult, but this was based solely on the facial expressions and body language of the two leaders during the short time when the press was present,” Ushakov said.
“But I would say that the meeting was constructive and frank, it showed the desire of both leaders to strengthen bilateral strategic cooperation. The atmosphere was very cordial.”
The presidential aide also said that the meeting lasted over two hours instead of the planned an hour and 15 minutes.
- Putin, Obama to meet at G20 summit in June - May 30, 2012
- Obama calls Putin - Mar 10, 2012
- Putin to undertake Middle East tour - Jun 25, 2012
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia tells US envoy to tone down comments - May 30, 2012
- Putin not to attend G8 Summit - May 10, 2012
- No gas deal during Putin's China visit: Moscow - Oct 11, 2011
- NATO chief congratulates Putin on victory - Mar 09, 2012
- Putin, Obama to meet after presidential inauguration - Mar 21, 2012
- Putin may meet Obama at G8 in May - Mar 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss Syria in Seoul - Mar 24, 2012
- Putin begins state visit to China (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Putin, Obama discuss bilateral relations - May 10, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, barack obama, body language, centerpiece, cooperation, facial expressions, g20 summit, hasty conclusion, invitations, june 23, kremlin, moscow, president vladimir putin, pundits, ria novosti, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, short time, sidelines, vladimir putin