Putin, Obama discuss bilateral relationsMay 10th, 2012 - 3:47 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart Barack Obama have discussed the prospects of development of bilateral relations and personal contacts.
The two leaders held talks over telephone Wednesday, Kremlin press service reported.
“The US president congratulated Putin on his inauguration. Putin and Obama exchanged greetings on the Day of Victory over fascism, noted the historic significance of the allied relations that linked our peoples during the World War II and gave best wishes to the veterans,” the report added.
“During the conversation heads of states discussed the prospects for Russian-American relations and personal contacts,” it added.
According to the press service, the conversation “went in a constructive spirit.”
Putin was forced to step down in 2008 by a constitution that forbids more than two subsequent terms, but is silent on further periods in office. He shifted to the post of prime minister after installing his hand-picked successor, Dmitry Medvedev, in the Kremlin, but remained by far Russia’s most powerful politician.
He won a landslide victory in the March 4 presidential elections marred by allegations of vote fraud.
- Putin, Obama to meet after presidential inauguration - Mar 21, 2012
- Putin returns to Kremlin amid protests (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Putin may meet Obama at G8 in May - Mar 22, 2012
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- Medvedev, Hu to discuss economic ties Thursday - Jun 16, 2011
- Medvedev accepts offer to head ruling party - Apr 27, 2012
- Anti-Putin protest thwarted by police - Feb 01, 2012
- Putin not to attend G8 Summit - May 10, 2012
- Putin proposes Medvedev as prime minister - May 07, 2012
- No Putin portraits on campaign posters - Feb 07, 2012
- Putin's popularity among Russians grows: Poll - May 18, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- Putin says no to TV presidential debates - Jan 12, 2012
- Obama calls Putin - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: barack obama, best wishes, bilateral relations, constructive spirit, fascism, inauguration, kremlin, landslide victory, medvedev, personal contacts, politician, president vladimir putin, presidential elections, ria novosti, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, us counterpart, vladimir putin, vote fraud, world war ii