Putin calls for 27 percent GDP investment by 2018June 22nd, 2012 - 6:22 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia should increase investment from its current level of 20 percent of GDP to 27 percent by 2018, President Vladimir Putin has said.
Addressing at the three-day St. Petersburg Economic Forum, Putin said Thursday that Russia was primarily interested in private investment.
“Russia should position itself as an exporter of innovative goods and services. New jobs are created, in the first place, by investment. We need to build up its volume to 27 percent of GDP by 2018. I believe this is an absolutely realistic goal and task.”
Putin also said Russia was going to stick to its previously announced plans to create 25 million jobs by 2020.
“We need to edge out the archaic and ineffective employment in the national economy,” said Putin, adding that Russia should capitalise on its competitive advantages and focus on the country’s stable development.
He also said a new round of privatisation in Russia should prevent the emergence of private instead of state monopolies.
“Without healthy competition, a market economy is no less inclined towards decay than a command and administrative system,” Putin said.
The Russian president said Russia would welcome the participation of large foreign strategic investors in the privatisation of state-run companies.
“These should be serious strategic investors.”
Russia will not curb capital flows, despite the escalation of the eurozone debt crisis and crisis factors in the global economy, he said.
Russia, expected to become a member of the World Trade Organisation this summer after many years of talks, may also join the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development in 2014, said Putin.
“I believe this entry may take place already in 2014,” he said.
- Russia needs more foreign investment: Putin - May 03, 2012
- Russia ready for possible economic meltdown: Putin - Aug 16, 2012
- Russian economy more solid than Europe's : Medvedev - Nov 20, 2011
- Russia open to foreign investment in energy - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia prepared for second global crisis: Putin - Sep 07, 2012
- Putin vows to continue liberal reforms in Russia - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia to double its ballistic missiles production from 2013 (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Putin calls for auction sales of strategic deposits - Jul 10, 2012
- Putin seeks improvement in Russian social policy - May 08, 2012
- Medvedev calls for land privatisation - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia to join top five economies in next decade: Putin - May 12, 2011
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011
- Russia should save for rainy day: IMF official - Sep 28, 2011
- Beer may return to Russian stadiums: Putin - Jan 20, 2012
- Trade between Russia, China to reach $70 bn: Putin - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: administrative system, capital flows, competitive advantages, debt crisis, economic cooperation, economic forum, global economy, market economy, national economy, new jobs, organisation for economic cooperation and development, president vladimir putin, private investment, realistic goal, ria novosti russia, russian president, stable development, state monopolies, vladimir putin, world trade organisation