Putin begins state visit to China (Lead)June 5th, 2012 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 5 (IANS) Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived here Tuesday, kicking off a state visit to China.
He will also attend the 12th Meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to be held here Wednesday and Thursday, Chinese media reported.
Putin will hold talks with his Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao, after which they will meet journalists.
Top leaders of the two countries are expected to discuss the expansion of bilateral cooperation in various fields, Xinhua quoted Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as saying.
Officials from Russia and China will sign a joint communique on relations, while entrepreneurs will sign a number of agreements, Lavrov added.
Bilateral trade volume is targeted to reach $100 billion by 2015 from $83.5 billion last year.
Kremlin’s foreign policy aide Yury Ushakov said last week that the two countries hoped to sign 17 diplomatic and business agreements that should help support booming trade.
Putin visited Beijing in October last year as prime minister.
According to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Putin chose China as one of the first nations to visit in his third term as president, a sign that Sino-Russian ties have reached an unprecedented high level.
- Vladimir Putin begins China visit - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese, Russian PMs pledge closer cooperation - Oct 11, 2011
- Hu, Putin discuss bilateral cooperation, strategic tie-ups - Oct 12, 2011
- No gas deal during Putin's China visit: Moscow - Oct 11, 2011
- Putin to pay state visit to China - May 13, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Putin, Obama to meet at G20 summit in June - May 30, 2012
- Medvedev, Hu to discuss economic ties Thursday - Jun 16, 2011
- Russia, China want fairer global economy: Lavrov - Jun 03, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- Lavrov in India to firm agenda for Medvedev visit (Lead, Changing dateline) - Nov 29, 2010
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: beijing, bilateral cooperation, bilateral trade, business agreements, chinese counterpart, chinese media, first nations, foreign minister, foreign policy, hu jintao, kremlin, president vladimir putin, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, russian ties, sergei lavrov, shanghai cooperation organization, trade volume, vladimir putin, xinhua