Punjab man gets life term for klling wife in VancouverMarch 26th, 2011 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Vancouver, March 26 (IANS) A Punjab man who killed his pregnant wife five years ago here was jailed for life Friday.
A former school teacher, Mukhtiar Singh Panghali, 39, was convicted in December for second-degree murder of his wife, Manjit Panghali, and then burning her body in the Vancouver suburb of Surrey in October 2006.
Manjit Panghali, who married Mukhtiar in 1996, was four-month pregnant with her second child when she went missing on October 18, 2006. The couple were reportedly having problems in their marital relationship.
The victim, 30 at the time of her murder, had gone for her pre-natal yoga class and was never seen again, though her car was found abandoned.
A week later, her charred body was located at a place frequented by revelers for drinking and making bonfires.
The suspicion immediately fell on her husband and brother-in-law Sukhwinder who lived with the couple.
During the trial, the prosecution established that Mukhtiar killed his wife when she returned from her yoga class, burnt her body at the said place, and delayed reporting the murder to police by as many as 26 hours after she reportedly went missing.
Calling his crime “repugnant”, the judge asked Panghali if he has anything say about his crime. But the 39-year-old Punjab man said nothing as he sat motionless in the prisoner’s box. Panghali was also given another jail sentence of three and a half years for “interfering” with his wife’s body. This term will run concurrently with his life sentence.
He will not be eligible for parole until 2022.
A teacher at a local school, Manjit left behind a three-year-old daughter Maya, now eight. Her killing is one of quite a few cases of murders of their wives by Indo-Canadian men in recent years.
- Forensic expert tells court that pregnant Canadian Sikh woman was strangled, burned - Nov 18, 2010
- Punjabi woman's murder case nears verdict in Canada - Dec 11, 2010
- Indian-origin husband found guilty of '2006 pregnant woman's' murder - Feb 06, 2011
- Yoga teacher kills Israeli woman in Bangalore - May 05, 2011
- Parents kill son, wife - Dec 22, 2010
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Minister jailed for conspiracy in daughter's death (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Woman doctor, priest get life for judge's murder - Mar 30, 2012
- Indian gets 39-year jail for slaying Nepali schoolgirl - Nov 20, 2010
- Tax payer fury over Brit prison hiring yoga teacher for hardened criminals - Jul 19, 2010
- US porn star, lover beat tattoo shop owner to death - May 22, 2012
- Adopted son sentenced to death for murdering parents, wife - Sep 04, 2012
- Australian jailed for killing wife of 50 years - Sep 06, 2010
- Spate of honour killings shakes up Punjab - Jul 14, 2011
- Why shouldn't you get death, apex court asks killer of five - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: bonfires, canadian men, half years, indo, jail sentence, left behind, life sentence, local school, manjit panghali, marital relationship, murders, pre natal yoga, pregnant wife, revelers, s box, school teacher, second degree murder, sukhwinder, vancouver suburb, yoga class