Puerto Rican inmates sew `HeelCondoms’May 23rd, 2012 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
San Juan, May 23 (IANS/EFE) Inmates at Vega Alta women’s prison in Puerto Rico are reducing their sentences thanks to their daily work of sewing “HeelCondoms”, colourful and varied accessories that fit onto the heels of women’s shoes.
Sandrysabel Ortiz, who in late 2010 became known for her design and marketing of HeelCondoms, told EFE that by sewing the product female inmates can reduce their sentences by 10 days for every month of work.
The inmates who labour in the sewing workshop at the Vega Alta prison also receive $5 paid by the designer for each day of work.
HeelCondoms can be slipped over the heels of women’s shoes (i.e. like a condom) to completely change their original appearance without the need to buy a new pair.
“When I learned that the women in the Vega Alta prison were devoting themselves to sewing uniforms, I got in contact with the Corrections Department to present them with my proposal,” said 24-year-old Ortiz.
The businesswoman, who until now had been having HeelCondoms produced in China to save on costs, said that after striking the agreement with the prison she will now provide more work to the facility and its inmates.
She said that the prisoners’ work quality is extraordinary and that they are thrilled to be taking part in an innovative project like `HeelCondoms’.
- Driver convicted in deaths of eight Puerto Rican inmates - Apr 03, 2012
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Puerto Rican militant arrested after 25 years on the run - May 11, 2011
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Rapper releases new music video - Mar 01, 2012
- Monkeys menace in Puerto Rican capital - Aug 07, 2012
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casino - Sep 17, 2011
- Two dead in shooting at Puerto Rico concert - Feb 28, 2011
- Puerto Rico busts septuagenarian for selling drugs - Mar 07, 2012
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Princess Letizia is Spain's new style-setter - Aug 16, 2012
- Puerto Rican boxer shot dead - Jun 09, 2011
- Puerto Rico to have Caribbean's largest solar project - Oct 07, 2011
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
Tags: appearance, businesswoman, china, condom, efe, female inmates, innovative project, labour, marketing, prisoners, proposal, puerto rican, puerto rico, san juan, sentences, sewing workshop, shoes, uniforms, vega, work quality