Psychotic mother kills her babyJuly 19th, 2011 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 19 (IANS) A mother in Britain killed her two-year-old baby just hours after psychiatric nurses decided it was safe to leave the child with her, a court heard.
Health visitors and nurses had visited Sonia Bellfield, who has a history of mental illness, and her daughter, Jasmine, barely two days before the tragedy, the Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
Though alarmed by her mental state, they failed to find it as an ‘emergency’ requiring immediate intervention. The day after the second visit, however, they changed their minds.
But when a seven-strong crisis team of social workers, psychiatrists and police officers knocked on Bellfield’s door, they found she had smothered her baby. She also tried to kill herself with a kitchen knife.
Bellfield, 31, had been suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, attributed to cannabis, which she started using in childhood.
Bellfield denied murder, but the Crown accepted a plea of guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility at Leeds Crown Court Monday.
- I have stabbed my baby: British woman tells cops - Jul 29, 2011
- Heartbroken man kills wife, kids, father-in-law - Aug 13, 2012
- Yorkshire Ripper, the serial killer, will never be released (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Yorkshire Ripper never to be released, rules London court - Jul 16, 2010
- Briton stabs wife 100 times after reading killing manual - Jul 27, 2011
- Brit mum kills 3-year-old daughter, dissolves body in acid - Oct 27, 2010
- Norway killer terms insanity report as lie - Apr 25, 2012
- Son stabs mom in head - Jun 04, 2011
- Prosecutors want Norway killer be ruled insane - Jun 22, 2012
- Deranged Swedish man eats murdered girlfriend - Mar 10, 2011
- Pregnant Pakistani woman killed by in-laws in Britain - Apr 25, 2012
- Australian says he shot woman after aliens told him to - Apr 18, 2011
- 'Flesh-eating' Brit rapist-murderer sentenced to 21 years imprisonment - Sep 18, 2010
- Indian-origin woman gets 33 years jail for killing daughters (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Man beheads wife after she gives birth to son - May 04, 2011
Tags: crisis team, crown court, daily mail, diminished responsibility, health visitors, history of mental illness, jasmine, kitchen knife, leeds, manslaughter, old baby, paranoid schizophrenia, plea, police officers, psychiatric nurses, psychiatrists, psychotic mother, schizophrenia, social workers, sonia