PS100bn overdraft leaves student in shock!December 31st, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 31 (ANI): A Brit student was left gob-smacked when he saw his Barclays bank statement showing that he was 100 billion pounds overdrawn.
Donald Moffat, 38, from Irvine, Ayrshire, revealed that it was his wife, who first noticed the “major discrepancy of two 50billion pounds debits” on his Barclays account.
According to his online statement, he was just under 100billion pounds in the red.
“We knew we still had quite a bit left in the account as we checked last night before we went out,” The Telegraph quoted Moffat as saying.
He added: “This morning I went out to get a few things, then, when I came back, my account was overdrawn by that amount.”
On the other hand, the high street bank said that the wrong bank statement was a result of a “technical error”, and it had been limited to “a number of customers”.
However, they refused to comment on exactly how many people had been affected by the error.
“A technical error caused some customer accounts to be incorrectly debited, the banks statement claimed.
The statement further stated: “No customers will be financially impacted by this error. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.”
To everyones relief, the bank identified the problem and corrected it within less than an hour.
Moffat, who is also a part-time carer, said he has been offered 10 pounds in compensation for the phone calls that he had to make to resolve the error. (ANI)
- Indian BPOs selling Britons' bank data for pennies? - Aug 02, 2011
- Barclays chief executive gets 6.5 mn pounds bonus - Mar 07, 2011
- Bank of America cancels debit card fees - Nov 02, 2011
- Nationwide and NatWest accounts fixed after errors - Jul 27, 2012
- Brit Indian newsagent claims UK bank 'fleeced' him of over 7000 pounds - Jul 30, 2009
- Now, pay income tax through Union Bank ATMs - Mar 31, 2011
- Federal Bank to open 100 branches in a single day - Mar 06, 2012
- Indian teacher shocked by his $10 billion bank balance - Jan 19, 2012
- ATM card racket busted - Jan 13, 2012
- Wells Fargo to charge $3 fee per month for debit cards - Aug 17, 2011
- India mulls bank account number portability - Jan 03, 2012
- Former IBM senior executive pleaded guilty to revealing company information for an illegal transactions - Mar 30, 2010
- Scotsman has directly descended from African Eve - Jul 01, 2012
- Asian-origin accountant sues UK firm for racial discrimination - Jan 24, 2011
- New system of cheque clearing causing trouble: RTI applicant - Jul 01, 2010