Provide Tamil option for customers, Malay banks urgedSeptember 28th, 2009 - 2:56 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Sep.28 (ANI): Appeals by Malay Indian customers to banks to give due recognition to the Tamil language have fallen on deaf ears.
According to an editorial in the Malaysia Nanban, Indian customers, proficient only in Tamil, are having problems dealing with banks, it said.
Currently, transactions were done only in English, Bahasa Malaysia and Chinese and the report suggests that accepting cheques written in Tamil and providing the language option in ATM machines would go a long way in easing their woes.
It also said that Tamil was recognised as the second widely used language in the Internet after English.
According to The Star, the editorial said banks should have an Indian officer, who is proficient in Tamil, to verify cheques written in Tamil and to help Indian customers solve their banking problems. (ANI)
- Malay Indians call for banks to introduce Tamil in transactions - Jan 21, 2011
- India, China at par in Malaysian English proficiency survey - Apr 09, 2011
- Malaysia most proficient in English in Asia, 9th globally: Survey - Apr 07, 2011
- Malaysian banks are refusing to accept Tamil written cheques, says MP - Jun 18, 2009
- Make English second official language, Malaysia urged - Dec 11, 2009
- English only in courts, two Malaysian states insist (Lead) - Dec 11, 2009
- Malay minister backs adding Tamil language in ATMs - Aug 27, 2009
- Malaysia to amend textbook after ethnic Indians' objection - Jan 28, 2011
- Steamy scenes in Indian films irk Malaysian group - Jan 31, 2011
- New party offers Malay Indians fresh political alternative - Aug 16, 2010
- Now, Malay Indians want a deputy prime minister - Dec 10, 2010
- Malaysian Indian objects to caste system section in school book - Dec 29, 2010
- For ethnic Indians, Malaysia makes changes to textbook - Mar 25, 2011
- Bible translated in Malaysian language no affront to Muslims: Ulema - Mar 19, 2011
- Book chronicles life of Malaysia's ethnic Indians - Dec 19, 2010