Protests rock Kashmir valley ahead of Dr. Singhs visitOctober 10th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar , Oct 10 (ANI): Violent protests led by separatists rocked Srinagar on Friday ahead of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh’’s scheduled visit to the valley to inaugurate the Anantang Srinagar Rajwansher new railway line on Saturday morning.
On Saturday, the Prime Minister will also inaugurate the first ever train service in the Kashmir Valley by flagging off the train at Nowgam Railway Station.
Protesters carried an effigy and chanted slogans in the streets in the city in protest against Dr. Singh’’s visit.
They were also protesting against Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, for his description of Islamic militants in Kashmir as “terrorists”.
Clashes broke out between the protesters and police and situation turned violent when police tried to stop them.
Police had to resort to using tear gas to disperse the irate mob as it pelted stones on the security personnel.
Meanwhile, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Chairman of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference, led another demonstration in Srinagar against Dr. Singh’’s visit to the valley, demanding a solution to the Kashmir issue.
Addressing a gathering of supporters after the Friday prayers at the historical Jamia Masjid in the city, Farooq said, “This issue is not going to be resolved by starting of train services, construction of dam, or by electricity, or by employment, or by giving subsidies or development packages, Kashmiris cannot be bought in bargain.
Kashmiris cannot be cajoled any longer. Kashmiris have announced their decision that they would continue with their struggle until they get their fundamental right,” added Mirwaiz.
Mirwaiz also urged for resumption of talks between India , Pakistan and people of Jammu and Kashmir to arrive at a solution towards the Kashmir issue, which has for long been a bone of contention between the two arch rivals.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today commissioned the 450 MW Baglihar Power Project at Chanderkote in Ramban District of Jammu region. (ANI)
- PM to inaugurate Baglihar project in J-K on Friday - Oct 09, 2008
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- No quiet dialogue on between India, separatists: Mirwaiz (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Kashmiri separatists to meet Khar in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- Separatists push Pakistan on Kashmir, divided on dialogue (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- PM to visit Jammu March 5 - Feb 07, 2011
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to flag off first train in Kashmir Valley - Oct 08, 2008
- Kashmir panel meets migrants, activists - Jul 23, 2011
- PM flags off Kashmir train amid shutdown call (Second Lead) - Oct 11, 2008
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- Yasin Malik, Umar Farooq deplore Kashmir Valley unrest - Sep 11, 2010
- Kashmir rail services back on track - Nov 24, 2011
- Mirwaiz to highlight last summer's unrest in London - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: arch rivals, asif ali zardari, bone of contention, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, india pakistan, irate mob, islamic militants, jammu and kashmir, kashmir issue, kashmir valley, manmohan, manmohan singh, parties hurriyat conference, railway line, railway station, singhs, train service, train services, violent protests