Protests against ‘Tibet independence’ in ChinaApril 20th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, April 20 (Xinhua) Demonstrations against “Tibet independence” continued Sunday in several Chinese cities. Demonstrators were seen in northwestern city of Xian, and the northeastern city of Harbin and eastern city Jinan following Saturday’s demonstrations in Beijing, and other places.
The demonstrators gathered in front of outlets of the French supermarket chain Carrefour, in the northwestern city of Xian, chanting “Oppose Tibet independence”, and “Oppose CNN’s anti-China statements”.
More than 1,000 students and citizens in front of the Carrefour held banners, saying “Strongly oppose CNN’s anti-China statements” and “Condemn Tibet secessionist in France”.
They raised slogans like “Support the Olympics”, “Go China” and “Condemn CNN” on loudspeakers.
Carrefour has been accused by Chinese Internet users of supporting the Dalai Lama group, which the firm Wednesday denied in a statement.
“Today’s activity is simply an awareness-raising activity, aimed at finding a way out for the patriotic emotions of our students,” said Wu Sheng, Xi’an resident and one of the organizers.
“We do not support a boycott of French companies because the economy is globalizing. We choose Carrefour front doors only because we draw more attention there,” Wu said.
Another 100 people gathered in rain in front of Carrefour in Jinan, capital of east China’s Shandong province raising slogans against Tibet independence.
Chen Bo, media manager of Carrefour China, refused to answer questions over the phone Sunday, but said he would release a statement by e-mail later in the day.
Carrefour has 112 stores on the Chinese mainland.
- Kobe, LeBron to tour China after Olympics - Aug 11, 2012
- Hundreds demonstrate against French retail giant in China - May 01, 2008
- 'Chinese army poses no threat to any nation' - Jul 31, 2012
- China extradites British criminal suspect - Nov 07, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- For dogs in Chinese city, size matters - Apr 19, 2012
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Chinese province steps up use of English - Feb 15, 2012
- Samsung to build memory chip plant in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Woman doctor stabbed in Beijing - Apr 13, 2012
- Chinese protest against western support for 'Tibet independence - Apr 21, 2008
- US tech firm to set up branch in Chinese city - Dec 23, 2011
- Wen Jiabao visit: Delhi Police take five Tibetan protesters into custody - Dec 16, 2010
- Ride horse to work, say equestrian enthusiasts - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: carrefour, chinese cities, chinese internet users, chinese mainland, cnn, dalai lama, e mail, east china, finding a way, french companies, french supermarket, front doors, harbin, jinan, northeastern city, northwestern city, secessionist, shandong province, supermarket chain, xinhua