Proteins protect bones during weight loss dietingDecember 1st, 2011 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Dec 1 (IANS) Eating protein-rich foods, especially dairy products, protect bones when overweight or obese young women try to shed weight through dieting, suggests a new study.
The study found bone health improvements were particularly evident due to the high density of bone-supporting nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D and dairy-based protein.
“Our findings demonstrate the importance of diet composition to the maintenance of bone health status during weight loss,” said Andrea Josse, kinesiologist at McMaster University, who led the study, the Journal of Clinical endocrinology and Metabolism reported.
For 16 weeks, three groups of overweight and obese yet healthy, pre-menopausal women each consumed either low, medium or high amounts of dairy foods coupled with higher or lower amounts of protein and carbohydrates.
Calcium and vitamin D levels were also graded from low to high across the groups in conjunction with the dairy foods they consumed, a university statement said.
The women exercised seven days per week, a routine that included aerobic exercise every day and two additional workouts of circuit weightlifting per week.
“Our data clearly show dairy-source protein is important when aiming to avoid harmful consequences such as accelerated bone loss during weight loss. In our view, young women attempting to lose weight should consume a diet higher in dairy-source protein,” said Josse.
“These women are not only at the age when achieving and maintaining peak bone mass is of great importance, but in whom adequate dairy consumption would offset sub-optimal intakes of calcium and vitamin D,” said researcher Stuart Phillips.
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- High-protein diet reduces hunger in obese - Jul 11, 2011
- Dietary calcium, supplements better than prescription bone-building meds - May 03, 2011
- Dairy foods 'help fight the flab' - Oct 21, 2009
- Try dietary calcium, Vitamin D for bone building - May 03, 2011
- Fast walking, jogging don't prevent increased bone turnover during weight loss - Mar 12, 2010
- Osteoporosis, the next big health worry for India (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 20, 2011
- Drinking milk can help you shed weight - Sep 16, 2010
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Drinking milk can help you lose weight - Sep 16, 2010
- High vitamin-D bread could help solve insufficiency problem - Feb 24, 2011
- High-protein diet may lower bone density in postmenopausal women - Jul 08, 2010
- World's largest diet study finally solves obesity riddle - Nov 25, 2010
- Dietary proteins critical in maintaining overall health - May 02, 2010
- Lean protein helps dieters resist late night snacks - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: aerobic exercise, bone health, bone loss, dairy consumption, dairy foods, diet composition, endocrinology and metabolism, harmful consequences, health improvements, high density, josse, journal of clinical endocrinology, journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism, kinesiologist, mcmaster university, menopausal women, peak bone mass, protein rich foods, source protein, stuart phillips