Promiscuity, divorce, separation gripping BritonsJune 2nd, 2012 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 2 (IANS) A senior Church of England bishop has warned that promiscuity, separation and divorce have assumed “epidemic” proportions in Britain.
Rt. Rev Richard Chartres said it as he called for Britain to use the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee as an opportunity to reflect and reassess values, Daily Mail reported.
The Rt Rev Richard Chartres, Bishop of London, writing in a Bible Society pamphlet about the origins of the word jubilee, said Britain was now an “enormously different” society compared to 1952, the year of the Queen’s accession to the throne.
Stating that the country is in “so many ways” a better place to live, he also said inequality had grown and material progress had been at the expense of communal life with relationships within families, communities and society “more strained, more fragile” and more broken than people cared to recognise.
“Literally millions of children grow up without knowing a stable, loving, secure family life - and that is not to count the hundreds of thousands more who don’t even make it out of the womb each year,” he said.
“Promiscuity, separation and divorce have reached epidemic proportions in our society,” he rued.
“Perhaps, then, we shouldn’t be surprised that depression and the prescription of anti-depressants has reached a similarly epidemic level.”
In his pamphlet, Chartres said the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee was also an opportunity to “rebalance the scales” in society and focus on how we can “reset” the situation.
- UK bishop suspended after William, Kate marriage slur - Nov 24, 2010
- Kate Middleton secretly confirmed into Church of England - Apr 14, 2011
- Give up iPods rather than chocolate this Lent, say UK church leaders - Feb 16, 2010
- Living alone leads to depression - Mar 23, 2012
- Royal couple to get pre-marital counselling - Dec 09, 2010
- Britain's vicars get tips to detect fake weddings - Apr 12, 2011
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- Gilani calls off visit for Queen's diamond jubilee - Jun 02, 2012
- Brook plans tea party to celebrate diamond jubilee - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Crown Jewels go on show for diamond jubilee - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian sociology is distinguished: Ansari - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: anti depressants, bible society, britons, church of england, communal life, daily mail, depression, diamond jubilee, divorce separation, england bishop, epidemic proportions, inequality, material progress, origins, pamphlet, richard chartres, rt rev, scales, separation and divorce, womb