Probe sought into Honduran journalist’s murderDecember 30th, 2010 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Dec 30 (IANS/EFE) Reporters Without Borders have asked the government of Honduras to carry out an “impartial and effective” investigation into the murder of reporter Henry Suazo. The reporter was killed in the Caribbean coastal city of La Ceiba.The slaying of Suazo, a correspondent for Tegucigalpa-based HRN radio, brings to 10 the number of journalists murdered this year in Honduras, the press freedom group, known as RSF, said in a statement Wednesday.
“It has been established that three of the victims were killed in connection with their work,” RSF said.
“Reporters Without Borders deplores the frequency of violence against journalists in this Central American country and urges the police to lose no time in carrying out an impartial an effective investigation into Suazo’s murder,” the statement said.
Suazo, 39, was gunned down Tuesday as he left his home.
The murders of news professionals “reflect the vulnerability of the media in Honduras and the dangerous climate to which they are exposed”, RSF said, noting that President Porfirio Lobo insists his government has played no role in the attacks, which he attributes to unspecified “criminal violence”.
Honduras has also seen dozens of political activists and union members slain since the June 2009 coup that toppled elected President Mel Zelaya, now living in exile in the Dominican Republic.
Most Latin American countries refuse to recognise Lobo’s government, which came to power after a November 2009 election boycotted by more than half of eligible voters.
- Reporter murdered in Honduras - Dec 29, 2010
- 58 gays, lesbians slain this year in Honduras - Dec 15, 2011
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Journalist kidnapped in Honduras - May 10, 2012
- Mexico renews diplomatic ties with Honduras - Aug 01, 2010
- Two held for murder of Honduran journalist - May 19, 2012
- Shooting at Honduran detention center kills 9 - Oct 16, 2011
- Journalist shot dead in Honduras - Mar 16, 2010
- `WikiLeaks expose shows US complicity in Honduran coup' - Nov 30, 2010
- Honduras' ousted president accepts exile deal - Jan 24, 2010
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Former Honduras president says US behind coup against him - Jun 29, 2010
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- Radio host murdered in Honduras - Aug 26, 2010
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: coastal city, correspondent, criminal violence, efe, eligible voters, freedom group, government of honduras, hrn radio, journalists, la ceiba, latin american countries, living in exile, murders, political activists, porfirio lobo, press freedom, reporters without borders, tegucigalpa, union members, vulnerability