Probe into threats on White House Facebook pageSeptember 12th, 2011 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US Secret Service is investigating terrorist attack threats posted by an unknown user on the White House page in Facebook Sunday, a spokesperson said.
At least three threatening messages appeared on the White House Facebook page amid heightened terrorist threat alert over the tenth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attack, NBC News said.
“We’ll come back U.S.A. One day only 11/9/2011,” one message said, featuring a photo of Osama bin Laden.
Another said: “We’ll come back 11/9/2011 to kill u all.”
The messages were quickly removed, but the information was sent to the Secret Service’s internet threat desk.
“They process it, make an assessment and determine what the next step is,” NBC News quoted Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan as saying.
Law enforcement authorities in New York and Washington are on high alert against what was called by the authorities a “credible but unconfirmed” terror threat to the US a decade after 9/11 terrorist attacks, which killed 3,000 people.
White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Sunday the country’s special services have no new information on alleged preparations for a terrorist attack.
- Egypt's military wants back missing documents - Mar 07, 2011
- US taking 9/11 threat seriously: Biden - Sep 09, 2011
- US embassy in Thailand warns of terror threat - Jan 13, 2012
- Karzai opens Facebook, Twitter accounts - Nov 25, 2011
- Russian orthodox church opens Facebook account - May 16, 2012
- Terrorist leader killed in Syria - Aug 13, 2012
- Obama extends sanctions against Iran - Mar 14, 2012
- Facebook files for $5 bn IPO - Feb 02, 2012
- Obama calls for heightened vigilance during 9/11 anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- Prostitution scandal: US Secret Service tries image repair (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- US, Russia missile shield deal in two years - Mar 29, 2012
- US diver launches underwater search for Osama's body - Jun 13, 2011
- US Secret Service agents visited Moscow strip club - Apr 28, 2012
- Man vandalises Siberian nursery school - Apr 09, 2012
- Russian social network delays IPO after Facebook crash - May 30, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,