Probe into illegal dog slaughterhouse in Hong KongOctober 21st, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Oct 21 (DPA) Hong Kong police have launched an investigation into an suspected illegal abattoir that is believed to have been used to kill dogs whose meat was sold at a local market, a media report said Tuesday.The police, government workers and representatives from an animal charity scoured the site of the alleged slaughterhouse found by an animal welfare group in a shabby, single-storey house, the South China Morning Post said.
The Animal Life Guard Action Group said it found choppers, meat knives, air pistol pellets, animal traps, hooks, a wok and bones when it visited the house Sunday.
William Tung, a group member, said three dogs and four puppies were found alive at the house and, although they were in good condition, one of the dogs had a 30-centimetre knife wound.
He said the suspected abattoir had been operating in the winter when dog meat is in demand during cold weather, and operations had recently resumed.
The meat was believed to have been sold to customers who knew it was dog at a market in the Tseung Kwan district of Hong Kong.
“The police take this matter seriously as abuse of animals is a serious criminal offence in Hong Kong, and we will investigate all reports that come to our attention,” a police spokesman said.
People who are found guilty of slaughtering dogs or cats for use as food or to sell their meat are liable to a fine of up to 5,000 Hong Kong dollars ($640) and six months in jail.
In addition, people guilty of cruelty to animals face a fine of up to 200,000 Hong Kong dollars and up to three years in prison.
- Dismissed police officer seizes tourist bus in Philippines (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Vietnam shuts down dog meat shops - Jul 13, 2010
- 380 ivory tusks seized in Hong Kong - Sep 11, 2010
- 1,000 dogs rescued from being slaughtered in China - Oct 17, 2011
- Meat supplier jailed for stealing a pig a day for two years - Jul 25, 2009
- Mumbai celebrates spirit of sacrifice on Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Delhi's abattoir shut amid protests - Oct 22, 2009
- Nine fall ill after eating shellfish in Hong Kong - May 19, 2010
- China criticised for serving dog meat to astronauts - May 13, 2010
- Brit parents outraged over serving of 'Halal' meat in schools - Sep 19, 2010
- Hong Kong seizes $98 million cocaine - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi meat traders agree to shift to Ghazipur abbatoir - Nov 10, 2009
- Drugs worth $22.5 mn seized in Hong Kong - Jul 17, 2010
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012
- Over 100,000 cigarettes seized in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2012