Pro-Tibetan protester ejected from Olympic equestrian venueAugust 9th, 2008 - 11:29 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Aug 9 (DPA) A local pro-Tibetan protester was thrown out of the Olympics equestrian events soon after the start of the competition Saturday after she unfurled a Tibetan flag. University student Christina Chan was ejected by police and security officers for breaking rules at the two equestrian venues that ban the display of the Tibetan flag, political slogans and commercial advertising.
Chan was seated in the front row at the start of the dressage competition that began around 6.30 a.m. in the Sha Tin district of Hong Kong.
She initially displayed a sign showing the Canadian flag but police and security personnel swooped when she unveiled a Tibetan flag.
Chan was bundled away after she refused to leave.
“She was sort of disturbing other spectators around her, which is against the house rules,” said equestrian event spokesman Mark Pinkstone.
In a separate incident, a man was asked to remove his shirt before entering the Sha Tin venue because it was bearing the slogans “democracy” and “human rights”.
In May, Chan was taken into ‘protective custody’ by police during a pro-Tibetan demonstration during the Hong Kong leg of the Olympic torch relay. Police said she was put into a police van for her own safety after a clash with pro-China supporters. She was later released without charge.
- Queen Elizabeth's granddaughter makes Olympic debut - Jul 29, 2012
- 11 Tibetans trying to gatecrash BRICS summit venue detained - Mar 29, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Dressage legend Van Grunsven ready for her seventh Olympics - Jul 14, 2012
- Anti-China protest by Tibetans stopped - Mar 10, 2012
- Five Tibet activists detained at Tiananmen Square - Aug 10, 2008
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Patriotic crowds greet Olympic torch in Hong Kong - May 02, 2008
- Concern for spectators' skin care at Olympics (London diary) - Jul 29, 2012
- Thousands protest Hong Kong-China rail link - Jan 08, 2010
- T-shirts with pro-democracy message seized in Hong Kong - Feb 13, 2010
- Kashyap, Mutatkar reach Austrian Challenge quarters - Feb 24, 2012
- Tibetan immolates self outside Chinese embassy - Nov 04, 2011
- Big wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong - Mar 25, 2011
- Jackie Chan faces backlash over China freedom remarks - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: breaking rules, canadian flag, christina chan, commercial advertising, democracy and human rights, dpa, dressage competition, hong kong leg, olympic equestrian venue, olympic torch relay, olympics equestrian events, police van, political slogans, protective custody, protester, security officers, security personnel, sha tin, spectators, tibetan flag