Private US spacecraft lands in Pacific OceanJune 1st, 2012 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The first private spaceship, the Dragon, undocked from the International Space Station (ISS) Thursday, and landed in the Pacific Ocean.
The Dragon’s bell-shaped capsule plunged into the water about 400 nautical miles (740 km) southwest of Los Angeles at 1542 GMT.
Astronauts Andre Kuipers and Joseph Acaba detached the cargo craft that has brought back 600 kg of redundant items from the ISS to Earth, with the help of the station’s 17-metre crane Canadarm.
The spacecraft will be loaded on a vessel and taken to a port in Los Angeles. From there it will be delivered to SpaceX headquarters in Texas.
The Dragon cargo spaceship is owned by US company SpaceX which took four years to design it. In December 2010, the Dragon made its first flight into orbit and then successfully landed in the Pacific.
The second Dragon was launched May 22 from Cape Canaveral. On May 25, it docked with the ISS after a series of tests.
The US has been without its own transportation to the ISS since the space shuttles were retired last year. Rather than build and operate a government-owned replacement, NASA is investing in companies such as SpaceX with the intention of buying rides for its cargo — and eventually astronauts — on commercial vehicles.
- Private spacecraft to make second supply run to ISS - Aug 24, 2012
- First private spacecraft launch to ISS delayed - Apr 25, 2012
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- First commercial spacecraft docks with space station - May 26, 2012
- Private capsule to launch cargo to space station - Sep 21, 2012
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Russian space freighter undocks from ISS - Oct 30, 2011
- Russian cosmonauts take a six-hour spacewalk - Feb 17, 2012
- NASA hails new era in space - May 23, 2012
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- US private firm aborts launch to space station - May 19, 2012
- Space station crew land safely in Kazakhstan (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- SpaceX's Dragon's Maiden Journey Ends Successfully - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: andre kuipers, astronauts, cape canaveral, cargo craft, cargo spaceship, commercial vehicles, first flight, international space station, joseph acaba, nasa, nautical miles, orbit, pacific ocean, private spaceship, ria novosti, s bell, space shuttles, space station iss, spacecraft, spacex