Prison warden slain in GuatemalaJuly 20th, 2012 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, July 20 (IANS/EFE) The warden of a maximum-security prison that holds some of Guatemala’s most dangerous criminals was gunned down on the streets of this capital, authorities said Thursday.
Amilcar Coronado Gonzalez was killed Wednesday night, Interior Minister Mauricio Lopez Bonilla told reporters.
It was only two weeks ago that the 40-year-old former army sergeant became director of El Infiernito prison, located in the southern province of Escuintla.
Coronado was driving down a busy street when he was intercepted by a least four armed assailants traveling on motorcycles. The attack happened so quickly that the warden was unable to draw his own weapon, according to the official report.
While the motive was not immediately clear, Lopez Bonilla said Coronado might have been targeted because he imposed tough disciplinary measures at El Infiernito, where the inmates include gang leaders and drug traffickers.
Guatemalan prisons tend to be dominated by powerful factions that impose their will on the other inmates.
With an average of 13.5 homicides per day, Guatemala is one of the most violent nations in Latin America.
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- Prison warden shot dead in Guatemala - May 07, 2010
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Former lawmaker shot dead in Guatemala mall - Jan 20, 2011
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave - Aug 18, 2012
- Guatemalan judge escapes assassination attempt - Dec 31, 2011
- Guatemala busts gang blamed for 18 rapes - Jun 09, 2012
- Two shot dead in beauty parlour - Sep 28, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Mayor gunned down in Guatemala - Feb 19, 2010
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- Politician slain in Guatemala - Jan 14, 2012
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: amilcar, army sergeant, assailants, bonilla, busy street, dangerous criminals, disciplinary measures, drug traffickers, el infiernito, gang leaders, guatemala city, guatemalan, homicides, inmates, interior minister, latin america, mauricio lopez, maximum security prison, prison warden, southern province