Prison official slain in VenezuelaJuly 7th, 2012 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, July 7 (IANS/EFE) The director of the women’s annex of a prison in the western state of Tachira was murdered Friday along with her husband, Venezuelan authorities said.
Nelly Ramon, 40, and Jesus Albarracin, 47, “were slain by unknown assailants who shot them without saying a word”, regional police commander Wilmer Beltran told EFE.
He said the double-murder took place a few blocks from the prison in Santa Ana, a town near the state capital of San Cristobal, and that preliminary reports indicate Ramon was the target of what looks to be a murder for hire.
“They shot them from a motorcycle or a moving vehicle,” Beltran said, citing accounts from witnesses.
Venezuela’s prisons service confirmed the victims’ identities and said the couple was killed “in the moment they left their home”.
The warden and deputy warden of the same penitentiary were slain in similar circumstances in 2007, said the head of the independent Venezuelan Prisons Observatory, Humberto Prado.
Roxanne Molina, the personnel chief at a prison in the western state of Merida, was gunned down May 24 while driving to her home.
Last year saw 560 violent deaths inside Venezuela’s overcrowded prisons, according to statistics compiled by Prado’s organization.
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- Eight killed in Venezuelan prison riot - May 05, 2010
- Politician slain in Guatemala - Jan 14, 2012
- Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26 - Aug 24, 2012
- Eight killed in Venezuela prison brawl - Aug 19, 2009
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Venezuela nabs three for Mexican envoy's abduction - Feb 07, 2012
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: albarracin, assailants, beltran, deputy warden, double murder, humberto prado, molina, overcrowded prisons, penitentiary, police commander, prison official, prisons service, regional police, roxanne, san cristobal, target, venezuela caracas, venezuelan authorities, violent deaths, wilmer