`Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong’March 12th, 2010 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 12 (IANS) Princess Diana died as an attempt to scare her to leave her lover Dodi Fayed went terribly wrong, a lawyer has said.
Michael Mansfield, who represented Dodi’s father Mohamed Al Fayed at the inquest in 2008 into Diana and Fayed’s deaths, said Diana’s killers had no intention of ending her life in a Paris underpass in August 1997, the Daily Express reported Friday.
He claimed that an attempt to scuttle her relationship with Dodi backfired.
An inquest jury had concluded Diana had been killed by the grossly negligent driving of chauffeur Henri Paul and pursuing vehicles.
“I don’t believe anyone wanted to see her dead. I think there was a plan to sabotage the relationship and alter her life, to try to stop her activities. But this plan went very badly and ended with her death,” Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico quoted Mansfield as saying.
Mansfield said the authorities opposed several aspects of Diana’s private and public life.
“I believe the relationship between Diana and Dodi displeased the authorities. In spite of all the work Mohamed Al Fayed did for children and hospitals, he was persona non grata in Britain. Diana had given interviews attacking the Royal Family, but what most annoyed the authorities was that Diana became very actively involved in the campaign against land mines,” he said.
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- 'Princess Di was killed to end romance with Dodi' - Mar 29, 2010
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- 'Di was murdered because she planned to expose UK's role in arms trade' - Jun 01, 2010
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- Diana's death linked to Britain's arms deal - Jun 02, 2010
- Di crash investigators fined over legal delays, bungles - Oct 24, 2009
- Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed memorials to be removed from Harrods? - Aug 15, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: august 1997, authorities, chauffeur, daily express, deaths, henri paul, hospitals, inquest jury, intention, killers, land mines, lawyer, london march, michael mansfield, mohamed al fayed, negligent driving, princess diana, royal family, spite, underpass