Prince William’’s deployment to Falkland Islands upsets ArgentinaFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.3 (ANI): The military deployment of Britains Prince William to the Falkland Islands has upset Argentina. The Telegraph quoted Jorge Taina, an aide to Argentina’’s foreign minister, said the move would reopen debate about the future of the islands.
“This circumstance only serves to once again highlight Britain’’s ongoing military presence in land and sea areas that are part of the Argentine Republic’’s national territories,” he said. Argentina claims ownership of the islands it calls the Malvinas.
Prince William will be sent to the Falklands by the Royal Air Force to serve as a search and rescue pilot (SAR) for three months, after he completes his 18-month RAF course in 2009.
Britain and Argentina fought over the Falkland Islands in 1982, when Argentine forces invaded the islands, prompting Margaret Thatcher to deploy naval forces to retake the territory.
After a near-three month conflict in which 649 Argentines and 255 Britons were killed, Buenos Aires surrendered on June 14 but maintained its claim to the archipelago.
Prince William’’s uncle, Prince Andrew, took part in the military operation while serving as a helicopter pilot in the Royal Navy. (ANI)
- Argentina unhappy over Prince William's Falklands posting - Feb 08, 2009
- Britain to deploy warship in South Atlantic - Feb 01, 2012
- Meryl Streep in talks to play Margaret Thatcher - Jul 02, 2010
- UN chief seeks to ease Falkland tensions - Feb 11, 2012
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Sarkozy stops of short of committing French help to UK over Falklands - Nov 03, 2010
- How Israelis 'armed junta' in Falklands conflict revealed - Apr 21, 2011
- Dead British soldier gets island named after him - Mar 03, 2012
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
- Argentina protests British war games in Falkland Islands (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Argentina protests British war games in Falklands - Oct 12, 2010
- 'Falklands posting' to keep William and Kate apart - May 02, 2011
- Wills to be posted to Falklands Islands as search and rescue pilot - Feb 01, 2009
- Britain to send n-sub on Falklands patrol - Feb 04, 2012
- Argentina criticises Britain's 'arrogance' in Assange case - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: archipelago, argentine republic, argentines, britains prince, britons, falkland islands, falklands, helicopter pilot, land and sea, london feb, margaret thatcher, military deployment, military operation, military presence, national territories, prince andrew, prince william, rescue pilot, royal navy, sea areas