Prince William’s army mentor killed by the Taliban in KandaharNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:48 am ICT by admin
Heis the the most senior British soldier to die in the country since the conflict began in 2001. He and two other soldiers were driving back to the army base at the Kandahar Airfield in the south of the country when they were killed.
All three wounded men were airlifted to Camp Bastion, Britain’s main base in Afghanistan, where the major was pronounced dead. The two other men survived.
Twenty-five-year-old William, who is now a Second Lieutenant in the Household Cavalry, was said to be “deeply saddened” at the death of his “good friend”.
In a statement, he said his thoughts and prayers were with Major Roberts’ wife and two young daughters.
William’s friend and fellow Blenheim Company cadet Joanna Dyer, 24, was killed in action in Iraq in April.
The latest casualty takes the number of British forces personnel killed in Afghanistan since the start of operations in 2001 to 82.
The Ministry of Defence has expressed “deep regret” over Major Roberts death. (ANI)
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Gurkhas take pension battle to European rights court - Jun 20, 2011
- Gurkhas axed as Britain reduces troops - Apr 04, 2011
- Gurkhas get axe as Britain reduces troops (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Prince Charles honours Britain's Gurkha soldiers - Jan 29, 2011
- Britain says no plans to axe Gurkhas - Oct 20, 2010
- Prince William appointed Colonel of Irish Guards - Feb 11, 2011
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- Car catches fire as Panetta lands in Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Gurkha soldier's widow can stay on in Britain - May 10, 2009
- US soldiers accused of killing Afghan civilians for sport - Sep 19, 2010
- Injured British soldier dies 1.5 year after bomb blast in Afghanistan - Jan 04, 2012
- Taliban launched assault to target Beckham - May 24, 2010
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011