Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAFOctober 6th, 2010 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 06 (ANI): Prince William has successfully completed his first air-sea rescue mission with the RAF.
He was part of an offshore operation off Cumbria to help a stricken oil-rig worker.
The Prince was co-pilot of a four-man crew aboard an RAF Sea King helicopter that was scrambled to an offshore oil rig in Morecambe Bay at 2.11pm.
The crew of “Rescue 122″ was called to reports of a man who had suffered a heart attack on an accommodation rig next to a gas production platform.
They left their base at RAF Valley in Anglesey, Wales, just seven minutes after the emergency call for assistance was made by Liverpool Coastguard and landed on the platform 24 minutes later.
The ill man was quickly assessed by the RAF Winchman before Prince William and his team successfully transferred him over water to a helicopter landing site just a short ten-minute flight away, from where he was taken to Blackpool Victoria hospital by ambulance.
“Prince William is pleased finally to be able to contribute to the life-saving work of the Search and Rescue Force,” the Telegraph quoted a spokesman for the Prince as saying.
“He is proud, after two years of intense training, to be able to serve in one of Britain’s foremost emergency services,” the spokesman added.
A source close to the Prince said: “After spending so long in training, he is very happy to be cracking on with the job and to be part of such an important team.” (ANI)
- Prince William once again to the rescue - Aug 21, 2012
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Price William saves man's life in chopper rescue mission - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince William passes air crash escape test with flying colours - Jan 29, 2010
- British PM to gift book to royal couple - Apr 28, 2011
- 48hrs after engagement announcement, Wills pulls off dramatic rescue - Nov 21, 2010
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Prince William saves drowning girl - Aug 17, 2012
- Prince William's RAF base 'mate' will soon be a 'ladette' after sex change op! - Apr 23, 2010
- Prince William invites RAF friends, transsexual pilot to wedding - Apr 01, 2011
- Prince William describes tragic helicopter mountain rescue mission - Jun 09, 2010
- Prince William's rescue crew saves the life of Greg Watkins - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilot - Apr 15, 2010
- Prince William to play stricken casualty role in helicopter training - Apr 06, 2010
- Prince William's air training halted due to volcanic ash - May 20, 2010
Tags: air sea rescue, anglesey wales, co pilot, coastguard, emergency call, helicopter landing, ill man, important team, intense training, man crew, minute flight, offshore oil rig, offshore operation, oil rig worker, prince william, production platform, raf valley, rescue mission, sea king helicopter, victoria hospital