Prince William to serve in RAF and NavyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:01 am ICT by admin
Buckingham Palace has confirmed that William will be quitting his duties with the Army’s elite Household Cavalry and undergo training to fly helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft as part of a four-month tour with the RAF, starting in January.
The palace also announced that the 25-year-old prince will spend time learning about the military’s submarines, its surface ships, and the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air units.
However, the programme will not equip William for a frontline posting and confirms the widely-held view that he will never see active service.
While the prince, an officer in the Blues and Royals, has always insisted he wants to be treated like any other soldier, Ministry of Defence officials have made it clear that his presence in a war zone such as Iraq or Afghanistan would prove too much of a danger to both himself and his men.
William’s temporary assignments follow a year of training as a specialist armoured reconnaissance troop leader in the Blues and Royals, where his younger brother Prince Harry, also serves.
The decision for William to spend time in the Royal Navy and the RAF would provide the prince with a practical grounding for when he becomes head of the armed forces.
“The attachments are primarily designed to familiarise Prince William with the structures, capabilities and ethos of the RAF and the Royal Navy,” the Daily Mail quoted William’s spokesman, as saying.
“He will be able to share the working lives of airmen and sailors, and to make comparisons with his own experience to date as an Army officer with a view to him becoming a future head of the armed forces. His time with the RAF will also allow him to realize a lifetime ambition to learn to fly,” he added.
William will be the first modern Royal to serve in all three branches of the military in preparation for his role as King when he will become the head of the armed forces. (ANI)
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince William to become rescue pilot - Dec 12, 2009
- Prince William to wear military uniform for wedding - Feb 01, 2011
- Prince William's RAF base 'mate' will soon be a 'ladette' after sex change op! - Apr 23, 2010
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilot - Apr 15, 2010
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- Kate Middleton to spend 2 yrs learning her role to adjust to royal life - Apr 25, 2011
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Prince William may delay full-time royal duties to continue RAF job - Mar 22, 2010
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Wills-Kate to stay without butlers or servants after marriage - Dec 28, 2010
- Prince William's household 'planning the royal wedding' - Dec 05, 2010
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Prince William's Royal Air Force dreams in jeopardy - Feb 14, 2010
Tags: armed forces, army, blues and royals, buckingham palace, defence officials, fleet air, frontline, household cavalry, learn to fly, lifetime ambition, mail, old prince, prince harry, prince of wales, prince william, raf, reconnaissance troop, royal navy, spend time, surface ships