Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilotApril 15th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 15(ANI): Prince William will be posted to Royal Air Force (RAF) station on the island of Anglesey, Wales, after successfully completing his RAF Search and Rescue pilot training in September. He will join the 22nd Squadron after his military studies, and will fly as a fully operational co-pilot in a Sea King 3A helicopter.
“The Royal Air Force’s decision to post Prince William to RAF Valley was made with the RAF’s interest in mind, matching Prince William’s skills to the challenges of flying sorties from RAF Valley,” The Telegraph quoted a St. James’ Palace statement, as saying.
“In particular, Search and Rescue operations from RAF Valley offer a wide variety of challenging flying over mountainous terrain and hostile seas supporting both military operations and civilian emergency services across the area,” it added.
The statement further said that the decision to post Prince Williams and his course mates was taken by the RAF chain of command. According to reports, all students on his course were asked to submit two preferences for their posting and the Royal’s other choice was RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. The second-in-line to the throne can expect to be promoted to captain and given overall control of the helicopter in the coming years, but how quickly will depend on his ability and performance. (ANI)
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Prince William qualifies as Search and Rescue pilot - Sep 17, 2010
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Prince William's RAF base 'mate' will soon be a 'ladette' after sex change op! - Apr 23, 2010
- Prince William to become rescue pilot - Dec 12, 2009
- Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAF - Oct 06, 2010
- Kate not to employ housekeeper - Jun 16, 2011
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince William to wear military uniform for wedding - Feb 01, 2011
- British PM to gift book to royal couple - Apr 28, 2011
- Duchess of Cambridge takes up life as wife of an RAF pilot - May 04, 2011
- William's pals to stage special fly-past on wedding day - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Prince William's air training halted due to volcanic ash - May 20, 2010
- Prince William to play stricken casualty role in helicopter training - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: anglesey, anglesey wales, chain of command, civilian emergency, co pilot, course mates, military studies, mountainous terrain, pilot training, prince william, prince williams, raf lossiemouth, raf search and rescue, raf station, raf valley, rescue operations, rescue pilot, sea king, search and rescue, st james palace