Prince William saving sailors before completing pilot trainingAugust 3rd, 2009 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 3 (ANI): Even before completing his chopper pilot training, Prince William is flying real-life rescue missions with RAF helicopters to save stricken sailors off the Welsh coast.
The Royal has been on a two-week posting at RAF Valley search and rescue base.
And the 27-year-old prince has been an observer on at least one emergency shout, and has joined crews on other call-outs.
Williams is not yet fully qualified as a chopper pilot, and is, thus, not allowed to take the controls or assist in the rescue attempts.
However, he is picking up valuable tips during the posting.
“He’s very keen and a quick learner. His flying skills are coming on and he has all the makings of a first-rate pilot,” the Daily Star quoted one RAF source as saying.
Williams will return to RAF Shawbury later this month to continue his pilot training.
And then, he will be transferred to the 203 Squadron base on Anglesey to train full-time on rescue copters like Sea Kings.
“He’s on Anglesey for two weeks before returning to RAF Shawbury. We can’t discuss details of what he’s doing while he’s there but it’s part of his training,” said an RAF spokeswoman. (ANI)
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Duchess of Cambridge takes up life as wife of an RAF pilot - May 04, 2011
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilot - Apr 15, 2010
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince William's RAF base 'mate' will soon be a 'ladette' after sex change op! - Apr 23, 2010
- Prince William qualifies as Search and Rescue pilot - Sep 17, 2010
- William's pals to stage special fly-past on wedding day - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince William passes air crash escape test with flying colours - Jan 29, 2010
- Prince William to receive his wings on Friday - Jan 15, 2010
- Prince William to play stricken casualty role in helicopter training - Apr 06, 2010
- British PM to gift book to royal couple - Apr 28, 2011
- Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAF - Oct 06, 2010
- Prince William once again to the rescue - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,