Prince William ‘moved by 11-yr-old Oz flood victim’s survival story’March 21st, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 21 (ANI): Prince William was moved to tears after hearing the heartbreaking story of an 11-year-old boy, whose life was saved when his brother sacrificed himself during the Australian floods.
The Prince talked to Blake Rice as he toured flood-ravaged areas of Queensland and heard the tragic story of how Jordan Rice, 13, had told rescuers to ’save my brother first’ as a flash flood overtook Toowoomba in January.
Blake was saved, but tragically Jordan and his mother Donna were swept away to their deaths.
“It was a real honour meeting the Prince and I think my brother would have been proud of me,” the Daily Express quoted Blake, as saying.
“Dad told me to ensure that I gave him a firm handshake so I shook his hand and he told me that I needed to be strong,” he added.
“The Prince said that not a night went by when we were not in his thoughts.
You could see in his eyes when he shed a tear that our story re-opened his own pain and sense of loss at losing someone tragically that you so dearly love,” said Blake’s father John, who spent several minutes talking to William.
“You could tell that Prince William also felt our pain and that in itself was comforting,” he said. (ANI)
- Australian PM fights tears, pays tribute to flood victims - Feb 08, 2011
- Prince William fails to spark 'media tsunami' during lacklustre Oz visit - Mar 21, 2011
- Price William saves man's life in chopper rescue mission - Nov 22, 2010
- Now, a comic book on royal wedding - Apr 06, 2011
- Meet Prince William, the super chick magnet - Jan 21, 2010
- Big B getting back to normal - Feb 22, 2012
- Prince Harry pokes fun at elder brother - Mar 11, 2012
- Charlie Sheen's porn star pal 'attempted suicide in Chicago' - Mar 16, 2011
- Homeless girl who moved Prince William invited to royal wedding - Apr 18, 2011
- Marriage not on cards for Prince Harry - Jun 10, 2011
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- All I've got to do is get lines right, jokes William - Apr 29, 2011
- A homeless girl gets invite to royal wedding - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry's 'emotional' speech leaves Kate in tears - May 01, 2011
- Flintoff 'six finger' tweet attracts Burnley fury - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: blake rice, dad, daily express, deaths, flash flood, flood victim, floods, handshake, heartbreaking story, honour, jordan, london march, march 21, mother donna, prince william, queensland, rescuers, sense of loss, survival story, tragic story