Prince William appointed Colonel of Irish GuardsFebruary 11th, 2011 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 11 (ANI): The Queen has appointed her grandson Prince William as the Colonel of the Irish Guards.
It is the Prince’s first honorary appointment in the British Army, and he will be the Irish Guards’ first royal colonel, reports the Telegraph.
The Queen has given her formal approval for the honour, which will see the prince take a close interest in the lives and activities of the regiment’s personnel.
The 28-year-old Prince succeeds Major General Sir Sebastian Roberts who previously held the post.
The second in line to the throne already holds honorary ranks in the RAF and Royal Navy.
The regiment was formed in 1900 by order of Queen Victoria in response to the courageous actions of Irish regiments in the Second Boer War.
The unit is heavily involved in ceremonial duties but its servicemen are also fighting soldiers who are currently in Afghanistan. (ANI)
- William weds Kate (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- All set for Will-Kat wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- ISS astronauts congratulate British royal couple - Apr 29, 2011
- Victoria's piano back on display in Kolkata - Jun 21, 2012
- At 28, Prince William suffering from 'hair thinning' - Oct 30, 2010
- Britain's Coldstream Guards 'facing the axe' after 360 years - Jul 24, 2011
- Prince Harry's tour with Bahamian military - Mar 04, 2012
- Prince William to wear military uniform for wedding - Feb 01, 2011
- Prince William pays tribute to war dead - Nov 14, 2010
- Queen 'ropes in Three Wise Men to prepare Prince William for throne' - Jan 31, 2010
- Kate Middleton to spend 2 yrs learning her role to adjust to royal life - Apr 25, 2011
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, british army, ceremonial duties, colonel, courageous actions, formal approval, honorary appointment, honour, irish guards, irish regiments, london feb, old prince, prince william, queen victoria, raf, royal navy, sebastian, second boer war, telegraph