Prince Philip hospitalised for chest infectionApril 4th, 2008 - 11:31 pm ICT by admin
London, April 4 (DPA) Prince Philip, husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to hospital for the “assessment and treatment of a chest infection,” officials said Friday. Buckingham Palace, the seat of Britain’s monarchs, said in a statement that the 86-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to London’s private Edward VII hospital Thursday.
Prince Philip Wednesday evening was due to attend a service honouring Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb Mount Everest, but failed to attend because of his illness, the statement said.
According to British media reports, the Duke of Edinburgh walked into the clinic and was sitting up and working on his correspondence Thursday while in hospital.
It is expected that he will remain in hospital over the weekend. His last public engagement was last Thursday when he attended the formal send-off of French President Nicolas Sarkozy at Windsor Castle with the queen.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who was born as Prince of Greece and Denmark on Corfu, has been married to the queen since 1947. He renounced his royal title and became a naturalized British subject in 1947. During World War II he served in the British navy.
He is known both for his charms and sense of humour as well as his tendency to create embarrassments.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Prince Philip hospitalised, misses jubilee concert - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Elizabeth II becomes second-longest reigning British monarch - May 12, 2011
- Prince Philip taken to hospital - Aug 16, 2012
- Britain's Prince Philip turns 90 - Jun 10, 2011
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- British queen to visit 9/11 site - Jun 10, 2010
- Prince Philip blasts 'useless' wind farms - Nov 21, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth to visit Oman - Nov 22, 2010
- Queen gives green light for beer festival at Windsor Castle - Jul 02, 2010
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth welcomes President Obama, Michelle - May 24, 2011
- British monarch to visit Ireland after a century - Mar 05, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth to visit UAE - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: british navy, british subject, buckingham palace, chest infection, duke of edinburgh, edward vii hospital, first man to climb mount everest, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, hospitalised, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, prince philip, public engagement, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, sense of humour, sir edmund hillary, windsor castle, world war ii