Prince Philip becomes the longest serving royal consortApril 18th, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 18 (ANI): Prince Philip has become the longest serving royal consort in Britain after he took duties in 1952.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s became the consort on February 6, 1952, when his wife Princess Elizabeth was crowned as Queen.
And now, he has surpassed the record of 57 years and 70 days set by Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III.
Known for his aversion to any kind of fuss, the 87-year-old Duke is with the Queen at Windsor Castle this weekend, and has no planned official engagements.
The royal couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 2007, and went to a trip to Malta to mark the occasion, reports the BBC.
Shortly before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth in 1947, King George VI made Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich.
The Queen made him a Prince of the United Kingdom 10 years later. (ANI)
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Elizabeth II becomes second-longest reigning British monarch - May 12, 2011
- Unseen portraits of Queen, Princess Margaret to go on public display for first time - Dec 30, 2010
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - Apr 29, 2011
- Britain's Prince Philip turns 90 - Jun 10, 2011
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- Prince William receives Scotland's highest honour - Jul 05, 2012
- The Queen Elizabeth II 83rd birthday - Apr 21, 2009
- Kate's parents meet Queen, Prince Philip - Apr 21, 2011
- Unseen childhood portraits of the Queen to go on display next year - Dec 29, 2010
- Why Prince William's wife will not be called as Princess Kate - May 01, 2011
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 84th birthday - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: 10 years, 60th wedding anniversary, aversion, bbc, duke of edinburgh, engagements, fuss, greenwich, king george iii, king george vi, london, malta, marriage, prince philip, princess elizabeth, queen charlotte, royal consort, royal couple, united kingdom, windsor castle