Prince of Wales to attend 65th D-Day anniversaryJune 2nd, 2009 - 8:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 2(ANI): Prince Charles is expected to represent Queen Elizabeth at a ceremony to mark the landing of Allied troops on a beach in Normandy, France.
Pressure from the White House has forced the French Government to invite the British royal family for the D-Day commemoration ceremony on June 6 in Normandy.
“If the Queen wanted to attend these events, or if any member of the Royal family wanted to attend these events, I would make that possible,” British Prime Minister Gordon Brown told the BBC.
The ceremony will be attended by US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and French President Nicolas Sarkozy. The French government had kept the Queen out off its original guest list prepared by Sarkozy.
Earlier, the US President Barack Obama had expressed his desire to have Queen Elizabeth present at the D-Day commemoration ceremony.
Obama’s personal interest in the matter will increase pressure on Downing Street.
Being the only surviving head of state who served in World War II, the Queen was snubbed.
Following this, Buckingham Palace has taken the unusual decision that neither the Queen nor any senior member of the Royal family will attend the ceremony where tribute will be paid to British soldiers who died in France during World War II. (ANI)
- Obama aiming to reverse Queen Elizabeth's Normandy ceremony snub - Jun 02, 2009
- Buckingham Palace officials livid over Sarkozy's D-Day snub to Queen - May 27, 2009
- Nicolas Sarkozy carries lectern to stand tall during keynote speech! - Mar 31, 2010
- Obama, Sarkozy warn Iran on nuclear weapons - Jun 06, 2009
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- Tongue-tied Brown slips up on 'Obama Beach' - Jun 07, 2009
- President Obama to call British PM Cameron on Tuesday - May 12, 2010
- 65th Anniversary of D-day - Jun 06, 2009
- Allied leaders to gather for D-Day commemoration ceremony in Normandy - Jun 06, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Sarkozy surrounds himself by 20 'short people' to 'look tall' - Sep 07, 2009
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Sarkozy uses footstool to tower over Brown, Obama! - Jun 10, 2009
- Hillary Clinton just made the Queen a week older! - Jun 05, 2010
- Sarkozy attends BBC's wartime broadcast anniversary - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: allied troops, barack obama, british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, british royal family, british soldiers, buckingham palace, d day, france during world war ii, french government, french president nicolas, gordon brown, head of state, nicolas sarkozy, normandy france, prime minister gordon brown, prince charles, prince of wales, queen elizabeth, world war ii