Prince Harrys beerless Annus Horribilis to pursue chopper pilot dreamsDecember 23rd, 2008 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 23 (ANI): Prince Harry, who is honing his flying skills to become a pilot of the meanest attack machine in the British Army, will reportedly have to bear his own version of Annus Horribilis, a horrible year by giving up alcohol for a year.
The third in line to the throne, well known for his party lifestyle, is said to be required, like his counterparts, to follow the Armys strict rules for Apaches learner pilots that includes staying away from the bottle for months at a time.
The soldier prince, who is reportedly keen on making a comeback on the frontline after having being pulled out from the Afghan War, would be banned from drinking 12 hours before every flight.
Harry is aware the real work starts here. If he wants to make the grade as a pilot he must make sacrifices. Helicopters and alcohol dont mix, so one of the first things he will have to do is give up the booze, the Sun quoted a source at the Army Air Corps base in Middle Wallop, Hants, as saying.
The royal has been training to pass a rigorous two-and-a-half year programme that tests learners aptitude to handle the 35 million pound attack helicopter. (ANI)
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry faces night flying challenge as a pilot - Oct 25, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry's helicopter instructor arrested over sex pest claims - Oct 28, 2010
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Frustrated Prince Harry cannot wait to spread his wings - Feb 02, 2009
- Prince Harrys Army helicopter pilot training begins - Feb 18, 2009
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry leaves Paki row behind to chase Apache dreams - Jan 20, 2009
- Prince Harry becomes eligible to fly choppers in frontline areas - Apr 30, 2010
- Prince Harrys chopper pilot dreams in danger? - Dec 01, 2008
- Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilot - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: afghan war, annus horribilis, apaches, aptitude, army air corps, attack helicopter, booze, british army, chopper pilot, giving up alcohol, half year, hants, helicopters, learners, middle wallop, party lifestyle, prince harry, prince harrys, sacrifices, strict rules