Prince Harrys Army helicopter pilot training beginsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 1:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 18 (ANI): Putting aside his alleged race rows, Prince Harry has set his sights on achieving his Apache dreams as he took control of a light aircraft.
The 24-year-old was said to have commanded a Slingsby Firefly in the company of an instructor as he took to the skies above RAF Barkston Heath in Lincolnshire.
The royal, who is training to pilot the meanest attack machine in the British Army, is expected to master the 175mph trainer before moving to a Squirrel helicopter, reports the Sun.
The third in line to the throne, who is allegedly keen on making a comeback on the frontline after having being pulled out from the Afghan War, has to undergo a rigorous 18-month-programme that will test his aptitude to handle the 45 million pound attack helicopter.
The party-loving royal will also have to follow the Armys strict rules for the learners, which include staying away from the bottle for months at a time.
Harry has previously endured a terrifying helicopter crash simulator as part of his training but reportedly remained undeterred in his ambitions. (ANI)
- Frustrated Prince Harry cannot wait to spread his wings - Feb 02, 2009
- Wills 'to begin advanced helicopter training' - Apr 18, 2009
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry leaves Paki row behind to chase Apache dreams - Jan 20, 2009
- Prince Harry turns to books for fear of flunking pilot course - Mar 26, 2009
- Prince Harrys chopper pilot dreams in danger? - Dec 01, 2008
- Prince Harry fails his first flying exam - Feb 15, 2009
- Prince Harry takes first flying lesson - Nov 19, 2008
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghanistan's frontline areas - Jan 02, 2011
- Prince Harry to learn how to fight in Apache helicopter - Mar 13, 2011
- Prince Harrys beerless Annus Horribilis to pursue chopper pilot dreams - Dec 23, 2008
- Prince Harry's Afghanistan dreams 'smashed' - Nov 29, 2009
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
Tags: afghan war, ambitions, aptitude, army helicopter pilot, army helicopter pilot training, attack helicopter, british army, crash simulator, frontline, helicopter crash, helicopter pilot training, learners, light aircraft, lincolnshire, prince harry, prince harrys, raf barkston heath, slingsby firefly, squirrel helicopter, strict rules