Prince Harry to return to Afghanistan’s frontline areasJanuary 2nd, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 2 (ANI): Prince Harry could get a chance to fulfil his dream of serving in Afghanistan again, with reports claiming that insiders at the helicopter training centre where he is learning to fly the Apache gunship revealed that all students who pass the course will serve in front-line positions.
According to the Daily Express, it is an indication that Lieutenant Harry Wales, as he is known in the Army, will get his wish to see active combat before British troops are completely withdrawn.
In 2007-08, Prince Harry had spent 10 weeks in Helmand before a magazine revealed he was there and he was sent home.
In March, Harry’s training would reportedly transfer to Scotland, where mountainous terrain resembles that in Afghanistan. It is thought he will be based at RAF Kinloss and fly over the Cairngorms.
The paper quoted senior Army Air Corps sources as saying that provided he finishes in April, he will receive six to eight months of specialist training.
The 26-year-old will spend another year with a regiment in the UK, before being deployed in Christmas 2012, probably supporting 20 Armoured Brigade. He will have an intense six-week tour of duty before being flown back to the UK for a break. (ANI)
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry becomes eligible to fly choppers in frontline areas - Apr 30, 2010
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry promoted to captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry to learn how to fight in Apache helicopter - Mar 13, 2011
- 'Prince William will not allow marriage to disrupt dream of fighting in Afghanistan' - Apr 23, 2011
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilot - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, apache gunship, army air corps, british troops, cairngorms, daily express, eight months, fly, frontline areas, helicopter training, helmand, insiders, lieutenant, line positions, london jan, mountainous terrain, prince harry, raf kinloss, specialist training, tour of duty