Prince Harry to return to Afghanistan to train as helicopter pilotDecember 12th, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 12 (ANI): Prince Harry will return to front line in Afghanistan to become an Army Air Corps helicopter pilot after passing the unit’’s selection process.
The Royal has passed a four-week selection process and will begin his pilot training next month, following in the footsteps of the Duke of York who flew helicopters in the Royal Navy in the Falklands War.
The Duke, who is Harry’’s godfather, was one of the main reasons behind his decision to volunteer for training as a helicopter pilot in the Army.
The 24-year-old Royal is the first member of the Royal family to serve on a military front line since the Falklands in 1982
And now Lieutenant Wales, as he is known in the Army, has been told that he will be able to go back to Afghanistan with his unit.
Belonging to the Royal family is a big danger for Harry to serve in the army as a soldier on the ground, as he is feared to act as a magnet for bombs putting the lives of those around him at an increased risk. He would also be at risk of kidnap.
However, life as an airborne soldier, while still extremely dangerous, will not cause much of a trouble for his fellow troops.
“If Prince Harry qualifies as an Army Air Corps pilot, he will, like any officer, be available for operational service wherever the AAC flies, The Telegraph quoted a Clarence House spokesman as saying.
“If his unit goes to Afghanistan Prince Harry will go with them. No doubt about it, said a source.
Afghanistan is a regular tour of duty for the AAC and Prince Harry will do his pilot training at Middle Wallop in Hampshire. (ANI)
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry becomes eligible to fly choppers in frontline areas - Apr 30, 2010
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry promoted to captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Duke of York praises Princes William, Harry's Afghanistan desires - Feb 15, 2010
- Prince Harry faces night flying challenge as a pilot - Oct 25, 2010
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Prince Harry banned from pub - Mar 13, 2012
- Prince William to become rescue pilot - Dec 12, 2009
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry one step closer to returning to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: aac, airborne soldier, army air corps, clarence house, duke of york, falklands war, footsteps, godfather, helicopter pilot, helicopters, lieutenant, middle wallop, no doubt, operational service, pilot training, prince harry, royal family, royal navy, selection process, tour of duty