Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilotMarch 10th, 2011 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 10 (ANI): Prince Harry has qualified as an elite Apache helicopter pilot, and he could return to the Afghan front line in a combat role as early as spring of next year.
It is a personal milestone for 26-year-old Harry who went through a gruelling ten-month course to learn how to fly the 46 million pounds attack chopper.
Sources say he has a “natural sense” for flying and his success is down to his own determination.
“Only the top two per cent of military helicopter pilots make it to the Apaches and Harry has had to work extremely hard. There is no way his status as a Royal could have got him this far,” the Sun quoted a source as saying.
A spokesman for Harry, officially Lieutenant Wales of the Army Air Corps, said he was “delighted” to have qualified after training, which has cost upwards of 1 million pounds so far.
Harry will now go on to learn how to operate the Apache’s awesome weaponry, including Hellfire missiles and deadly laser-guided cannons.
Apaches play a vital role in the war zone and the mere sight of one overhead can be enough to send insurgents running for their lives.
Harry, who is tipped to be made captain in May, could get at least two visits to the front before 2015, when British troops are expected to pull out. (ANI)
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry to learn how to fight in Apache helicopter - Mar 13, 2011
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry Earns Wings! Chosen To Fly Apache Attack Helicopters - May 07, 2010
- IAF selects Boeing's Apache Longbow combat chopper - Oct 26, 2011
- Prince Harry faces night flying challenge as a pilot - Oct 25, 2010
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry's helicopter instructor arrested over sex pest claims - Oct 28, 2010
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Nine IAF men killed as two choppers collide (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,