Prince Harry becomes eligible to fly choppers in frontline areasApril 30th, 2010 - 8:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 30 (ANI): Prince Harry can once again return to fighting Taliban militants in Afghanistan after he passed his Army pilot course, making him eligible to fly either the Lynx or Apache helicopters.
The 25-year-old was informed on Thursday that he had completed his training and was also told that he had the ability to fly helicopters, The Telegraph reports.
The graduation ceremony will be held on next Friday and till that time Harry has to decide which aircraft he would like to specialise in.
“Prince Harry is very pleased. He will give the matter serious consideration over the next few days before inputting his preference,” a St James’s Palace spokesman said.
Lieutenant Harry Wales served in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province as a forward air controller directing air strikes for 10 weeks in 2007-08 and has made no secret of his wish to return.
The prince, an officer with the Household Cavalry Regiment, changed the direction of his military career and became a pilot to increase his chances of being deployed to the frontline, The Telegraph reports
Harry began his flying training with the Army Air Corps in January last year and has been working hard to complete the course.
Harry’s father, the Prince of Wales, who is the AAC’s Colonel in Chief, will present him with his provisional wings at the event being held at Middle Wallop. (ANI)
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghanistan's frontline areas - Jan 02, 2011
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince Harry Earns Wings! Chosen To Fly Apache Attack Helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry 'likely to return to Afghanistan as Lynx helicopter pilot' - Mar 18, 2010
- 'Prince William will not allow marriage to disrupt dream of fighting in Afghanistan' - Apr 23, 2011
- Prince Harry one step closer to returning to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 28, 2010
- Prince Harry faces night flying challenge as a pilot - Oct 25, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilot - Mar 10, 2011
- Chelsy Davy makes rare appearance to see Prince Harry get his wings - May 08, 2010
Tags: aac, air strikes, apache helicopters, army air corps, army pilot, cavalry regiment, colonel in chief, forward air controller, frontline areas, graduation ceremony, helmand province, household cavalry, middle wallop, military career, next friday, palace spokesman, pilot course, prince harry, prince of wales, st james