Prince Charles states publicly that his wife Camilla could be QueenNovember 20th, 2010 - 2:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 20 (ANI): Prince Charles has for the first time publicly stated that his wife Camilla could be crowned Queen.
The Prince of Wales was asked during a television interview if the Duchess of Cornwall would be made Queen if and when he comes to the throne or if she would be Princess Consort, and he gave a bumbling answer.
“That’s, that’s, we’ll see, won’t we? That could be,” the Daily Mail quoted him as replying.
Charles, 62, had married Camilla, 63, in April 2005 and since then courtiers have always been at great pains to insist that she would become his consort.
They are acutely sensitive to the public affection that still exists for Princess Diana, and to Camilla’s role in the break-up of her marriage to the prince.
Their fear is that if the public believe that Camilla is to be crowned Queen, it will damage the Royal Family.
Charles has always told friends and senior aides it is his wish for Camilla to be Queen, but this is the first time he has given any public expression of his desire.
A poll taken on the matter revealed that only 14 percent of the public think she should be crowned, compared with 52 percent who say she should not. (ANI)
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- William wants Kate to be called 'princess' - May 01, 2011
- David Cameron backs 'Queen Camilla' - Nov 22, 2010
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Supermodel claims Prince Charles asked her for 'private catwalk show' - Jan 12, 2011
- Prince Charles: Camilla could be queen - Nov 22, 2010
- Kate Middleton's first lesson is learning when to curtsey to whom - May 02, 2011
- Royals feared attack on Prince Charles at Diana's funeral - Jan 17, 2011
- Royals feared Prince Charles would be attacked at Diana's funeral - Jan 17, 2011
- Prince William, Kate Middleton's wedding reception to have just 300 guests - Jan 10, 2011
- British royal family now on Flickr - Jul 25, 2010
- Princess Di's family to occupy front row at Wills-Kate wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- 'Most Brits want to see Prince William as next king' - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: aides, april 2005, camilla, courtiers, daily mail, desire, duchess of cornwall, fear, london, marriage, poll, prince charles, prince of wales, princess consort, princess diana, public affection, public expression, queen, royal family, television interview