Prince Charles love letters sold for PS20k on eBayMarch 21st, 2009 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 21 (ANI): Love letters said to have written by Prince Charles to a former lover have sold for more than 20,000 pounds on eBay.
The letters, which disclose Prince of Wales fears of marrying the wrong woman, were bought by an anonymous buyer.
The buyer paid 20,800 pounds for six letters written by the Prince to a Canadian girlfriend in the 1970s and 1980.
One, written the year before his marriage to Lady Diana Spencer, is signed with much love, Charles and outlines his private secretarys horror at the idea of ladies in hotel rooms during foreign visits.
The letters were received by Welsh-born Janet Jenkins, who was working at the British Consulate in Montreal in 1975, when she met the Prince.
She told Canadian television recently that she had expected the correspondence to end up in a museum.
I was surprised to discover that they are back on eBay. I hope nobody buys them, The Times quoted her, as saying.
Several years ago, Jenkins had sold the letters to Alicia Carroll, a Los Angeles-based royal memorabilia collector.
Carroll posted the romantic notes on eBay in 2005, with a starting bid of 34,000 pounds, but was unable to find a buyer. When her firm went bankrupt earlier this month she placed the letters back on the Internet.
In the letters Prince Charles talks of marriage and divorce and his fears of marrying the wrong woman.
He writes: I can see that I shall just have to get married as soon as possible and then all these people might relax a little . . . ! I still think my solution of marrying a girl from each Commonwealth country is the best one. (ANI)
- Prince Charles love letters up for grabs - Mar 06, 2009
- Online auction of Prince Charles love letters sparks row - Mar 09, 2009
- Now Prince Charles' love letters to Canadian on sale - Mar 07, 2009
- Princess Diana's bro set to tie the knot - Feb 16, 2011
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Obama's Chrysler 300 up for sale - Jan 27, 2012
- Britain's Royal Mail sells off undelivered items - May 16, 2011
- Heartbroken man buys island for £30,000 after wife leaves him - Apr 12, 2012
- Kate Middleton's Reiss dress being offered on eBay - May 27, 2011
- Coal piece from Titanic auctioned - Jan 29, 2012
- Wills, Kate wedding memorabilia up for grabs, but sans couple's pics on it - Dec 20, 2010
- Lady Gaga's nude portrait up for auction on eBay - Dec 15, 2011
- Teen Marilyn Monroe's letter reveals 'hubby kept her busy cooking and cleaning' - Apr 22, 2011
- eBay communities make participants better buyers and sellers: Study - Dec 18, 2010
- Katie Price puts reminders of Peter Andre marriage on eBay - May 06, 2010
Tags: 1970s, british consulate, canadian television, commonwealth country, correspondence, ebay, fears, former lover, girlfriend, horror, hotel rooms, lady diana spencer, love letters, marriage and divorce, montreal, prince charles, prince of wales, royal memorabilia, welsh, wrong woman