Prince Charles’ car under attack from tuition fees protestersDecember 10th, 2010 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 10 (ANI): A car the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were in was caught up in a riot and came under attack from students who were protesting the rise in tuition fees.
Both were travelling to the Royal Variety Performance in central London when the Rolls-Royce they were in was attacked by demonstrators, who kicked and threw white paint and bottles, shattering a window.
According to a Clarence House spokesman, the Prince and Duchess were “unharmed” and continued with their engagement at the London Palladium.
The attack had taken place on Regent Street at the end of a day of protest that turned into a riot and left 10 police officers injured, six of them seriously.
“The police cars at the front of the convoy drove straight into crowds at the top of Regent Street,” the Telegraph quoted Matthew Maclachlan, who witnessed the attack on the Prince’s car, as saying.
“Charles and Camilla’s car ran into such a concentration of people that it had to stop. It was stationary for a lot of the time, then would squeeze forward an inch.
“We couldn’t believe it. The car had really big windows so Charles was very much on display,” he revealed.
Maclachlan said people were trying to talk to Charles about tuition fees, but when more realised what was happening the crowd began to grow, and some started throwing bottles and litterbins at the car.
“It must have been frightening for them but, throughout it all, Charles was really calm and smiling at everyone. Camilla was beaming too,” he said.
“He was holding his hands out towards them in a gesture that said, ‘I’m innocent’,” he added.
Although the rear window on the Prince’s side of the car was shattered, it did not break. (ANI)
- UK royal pair attack: Tory backbencher demands inquiry into security lapse - Dec 12, 2010
- Attack On Royal Couple Of Britain Following Rise In University Fees - Dec 10, 2010
- Riot attacks won't stop Prince Charles from attending public engagements - Dec 12, 2010
- Student Protestors Attack Prince Charles & Camilla's Car in London - Dec 10, 2010
- Police communication breakdown put royal couple in danger - Dec 11, 2010
- Prince William to arrive at wedding venue on horseback? - Apr 02, 2011
- Kate Middleton to arrive at wedding venue in car damaged by protests - Mar 22, 2011
- Charlie Gilmour: Arrested during London's student riots - Dec 13, 2010
- UK Home Secretary says police could use water cannon to tackle rioters - Dec 13, 2010
- William wants Kate to be called 'princess' - May 01, 2011
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- Charlie Gilmour: Son of Pink Floyd star arrested for insulting the martyrs - Dec 13, 2010
- Prince Charles states publicly that his wife Camilla could be Queen - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: central london, charles and camilla, clarence house, convoy, demonstrators, duchess of cornwall, gesture, london palladium, maclachlan, police cars, police officers, prince charles, prince of wales, protesters, rear window, regent street, riot, royal variety performance, tuition fees, white paint