Prince Andrew’s marital home bought with laundered money from Kazakh scam?September 6th, 2010 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 6 (ANI): An exiled multi-millionaire, Mukhtar Ablyazov, has alleged that the Duke of York, Prince Andrew’s former home was bought for 15 million pounds using laundered money.
He reportedly claimed that the purchase of Sunninghill Park was paid for with cash from the sale of a state-run firm in Kazakhstan.
According to the Daily Mail, Ablyazov now intends to call Prince Andrew as a defence witness in his own corruption case to give evidence about the sale.
Sunninghill in Berkshire was Andrew’s marital home with the Duchess of York. It was sold to Timur Kulibayev, the son-in-law of the president of Kazakhstan, for 15million pounds in 2007, despite having been on the market for less than 3 million pounds.
Ablyazov has claimed that he possesses documents which link the purchase with the sell-off of a 110 million pounds stake in a state-owned oil and gas company in Kazakhstan. He is expected to include the allegation in legal submissions to the High Court later this month.
Such a court appearance would be potentially embarrassing for the prince, who has built links with Kazakhstan because of his role as Britain’s international trade ambassador, the paper reports.
The 600-acre estate near Ascot was reportedly bought through a company registered in the British Virgin Islands but the prince has always denied any involvement in the deal.
Ablyazov is allegedly involved in corruption in his home country, where he was chairman of the former Soviet state’s biggest bank, Bank TuranAlem.
He fled to Britain after a warrant was issued for his arrest in Kazakhstan last year, and has applied for asylum there. (ANI)
- Andy's femme fatale Goga had love child, hunted wolves with Saif Gaddafi - Mar 12, 2011
- Gerard Butler smitten by Kazakhstani billionaire - Jun 10, 2010
- Gerard Butler trying to woo Kazakhstani billionaire Goga Ashkenazi? - Jun 09, 2010
- Indian-origin British hotelier sued by parents - Feb 23, 2012
- Depp buys property in Britain - Jan 27, 2012
- Here's the exotic guest list of Prince Charles to royal wedding! - Apr 10, 2011
- Blair met Mittal over Kazakhstan deal: Report - Oct 30, 2011
- Dubai ruler meets Queen Elizabeth II - Jun 21, 2012
- Kate Middleton's pre-wedding diet revealed - bags of sweets! - Mar 14, 2011
- Kate Middleton shopped for saucy underwear like Billie Piper's - May 02, 2011
- Housing colony named after Kate Middleton - Nov 27, 2011
- Britain's record jackpot winner to walk away with $180 mn - Oct 09, 2010
- Danielle Lloyd buys love pad with footie beau Jamie O'Hara - Sep 08, 2009
- Ex-Goldman Sachs director Gupta arrested, charged in insider trading case - Oct 26, 2011
- Sean Connery ordered to pay millions in probe into Spanish property fraud - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: acre estate, allegation, ascot, bank turanalem, british virgin islands, corruption case, court appearance, daily mail, defence witness, duchess of york, duke of york, duke of york prince, international trade, kazakh, legal submissions, oil and gas, oil and gas company, president of kazakhstan, prince andrew, soviet state