Pressure grows on Iran to come clean over nuclear plansSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 23(ANI): The United Nations (UN) is reportedly putting pressure on Iran to abandon its nuclear programme and allow inspectors to examine its facilities.
The Iranian government insists that its uranium enrichment project is purely to provide electricity for the country, but the UN Security Council is not convinced.
The Security Council had earlier imposed a fourth round of sanctions in June, saying that Iran has refused to suspend uranium enrichment and start negotiations with the five permanent members and Germany.
Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a speech to the UN Assembly on Iran, in which he would leave the door open to talks with Tehran, Sky News reports.
This follows comments from Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and former President Ayatollah Rafsanjani that were interpreted as a signal that the country was willing to enter into negotiations.
Earlier, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in its quarterly report on the status of Iran’s nuclear program had criticized Tehran for limiting the access of the agency’s inspectors.
The report had stated that Iran had failed to answer questions concerning its alleged efforts to develop nuclear warheads and triggering devices.
It also claimed that Iran continues to expand its production of nuclear fuel, though not as quickly as some Western intelligence agencies had projected. (ANI)
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- Nuclear swap deal, opportunity for dialogue: Iran - May 23, 2010
- US dismisses Iran's nuke achievements - Feb 16, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran succeeds in enriching uranium 20 percent: Ahmadinejad (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Iran parliament to discuss bill reducing cooperation with IAEA - Jun 13, 2010
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- 'Iran will not stop high-grade uranium enrichment' - Apr 09, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,