President Patil visits Forbidden City in ChinaMay 28th, 2010 - 5:40 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Beijing, May 28 (ANI): On the third day of her six-day state visit to China, Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Thursday visited the famous Forbidden City in the heart of Beijing and expressed admiration for the grandeur of China’s past.
“The visit to the Forbidden City in Beijing was a unique experience. I take back memories and this splendour and grandeur of China’s glorious past which, like India, is an ancient civilisation,” Patil wrote in the visitor’s book.
The Ming and the Qing dynasties ruled the Forbidden City 600 years ago.
Patil, sitting in a golf cart along with her husband Devisingh Shekhawat, went around the 74-hectare city complex
Once an imperial palace, the Forbidden City is now known as the Palace Museum.
It is the world’s largest palace complex with 9,999 rooms.
Listed by the UNESCO as the World Heritage Site in 1987, the Palace Museum is now one of the most popular tourist attractions worldwide. It was constructed in 1407.
“Harmony halls show the importance given to the concept of harmony in the Chinese civilisation. I deeply appreciate this. My very warm greetings to the people of China. My good wishes for their progress and prosperity,” Patil wrote.
She also visited the Temple of Heaven, which is much bigger than forbidden city and is situated in an area of about 27,00000 square metres.
“It has been a pleasure for me to visit the Temple of Heaven which depicts China’s rich architectural heritage with great aesthetic beauty,” she said.
Due to heavy downpour, the president could not tour the entire complex. (ANI)
- President Patil meets CPPCC Chairman - May 28, 2010
- President Patil visits Forbidden City - May 28, 2010
- No commercial activity at China's historical sites - Sep 02, 2011
- Beijing's Forbidden City can accomodate more tourists - Aug 22, 2010
- Patil visits Beijing's Temple of Heaven - May 28, 2010
- President Patil visits ancient Lao capital Luang Prabang - Sep 11, 2010
- Patil lauds Premier Jiabao's constructive role in promoting Sino-Indian strategic ties - May 27, 2010
- Art work worth $150 mn stolen from Beijing palace - May 11, 2011
- Chinese imperial relics sold for $48 mn - Mar 27, 2011
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- President Patil arrives in Shanghai - May 29, 2010
- China executes official for plundering cultural relics - Nov 19, 2010
- President offers prayers at Orissa's Jagannath temple - Dec 09, 2009
- Traditional welcome given to President Patil in Siem Reap - Sep 16, 2010
- After talks with Chinese leadership, Patil visits Luoyang - May 29, 2010
Tags: aesthetic beauty, ancient civilisation, chinese civilisation, forbidden city, golf cart, grandeur, heavy downpour, hectare, imperial palace, indian president, palace complex, praful, pratibha devisingh patil, qing dynasties, rich architectural heritage, splendour, square metres, temple of heaven, warm greetings, world heritage site