President Obama makes surprise Iraq visit (Lead)April 7th, 2009 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, April 7 (DPA) US President Barack Obama landed in Baghdad Tuesday, beginning a previously unannounced visit at the end of his eight-day European tour.
Obama, who departed from Istanbul where he made an appeal for a new US relationship with the Muslim world, is to visit US troops and speak by telephone with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani and Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.
Obama’s helicopter transfer to the meeting with the two Iraqi leaders, which on security grounds was not pre-announced, was cancelled because of poor weather.
Gibbs went on to say that the surprise visit was made because President Obama wished to show his appreciation to the US troops serving in the country, and to consult with the Iraqi leadership.
Gibbs said Obama would “spend some time with the men and women who are serving their country so honourably here.”
Observers prior to Obama’s arrival reported hectic activity in Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. The Voices of Iraq news agency reported the surprise arrival of President of Iraqi Kurdistan Massoud Barzani and Kurdish Prime Minister Nerchivan Barzani.
Osama al-Najafi, a Sunni member of parliament with the Iraqi National List, welcomed Obama’s visit, telling the DPA that “Obama’s policy is based on openness to the Arab and Islamic world, seeking to change the United States’ image and to rectify the grave mistakes (former US president George W.) Bush and US forces committed in Iraq.”
Obama arrived in Baghdad at 4.42 p.m. (1342 GMT) from Istanbul, where he said he was “deeply committed to rebuilding a relationship between the United States and the people of the Muslim world. One that is grounded in mutual interest and mutual respect.”
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- US defence chief arrives in Iraq - Sep 01, 2010
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- US vice president on surprise visit in Iraq - Jul 04, 2010
- Vice President Joe Biden Lands In Iraq To Commemorate End Of Combat Operations - Aug 31, 2010
- Gates to examine role of US troops in Iraq - Jul 28, 2009
- US Vice President Biden in surprise visit to Iraq - Jan 23, 2010
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden arrives in Baghdad on surprise visit - Jul 03, 2010
- Biden arrives in Iraq to mark combat end - Aug 31, 2010
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- U.S. Vice President Biden on surprise visit to Baghdad - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: barack obama, grave mistakes, hectic activity, helicopter transfer, iraq news, iraq visit, iraqi kurdistan, iraqi leadership, iraqi president jalal talabani, jalal talabani, member of parliament, muslim world, nuri al maliki, poor weather, president jalal talabani, prime minister nuri, robert gibbs, surprise arrival, voices of iraq, white house spokesman