President Obama breaks another historic trend in his ‘flip flops’January 6th, 2011 - 11:47 am ICT by ANI
New York, Jan 6 (ANI): US President Barack Obama seems to be breaking one fashion trend after another as far as presidential casual wear is concerned - he was seen wearing nothing more than a flimsy strip of rubber on his feet in Hawaii.
“I can’t say I’ve seen a president’s toes before. This could be a very usual thing,” the New York Post quoted presidential historian Jane Hampton Cook as saying.
“But I don’t think this is a big deal. Your footwear belongs to the occasion. If you’re on the beach buying your daughter snow cones, I don’t think you can beat him up for this. Now if he’s wearing flip-flops to the State of the Union, that’d be different.”
Presidential historian Doug Wead agreed, saying, “In public, no. I haven’t seen the president’s toes.”
They don’t see any harm in this new exposure of Obama’s though.
“It makes him look like a man of the people, and they [his advisers] probably like that it’s an informal and inexpensive shoe,” Wead said.
But not everyone thinks the same way.
“You don’t think you’re going to see [Russian Prime Minister] Vladimir Putin wearing flip-flops, do you?” said one DC observer.
As a candidate, Obama was snapped in 2008 wearing flip-flops while vacationing with his family in Honolulu.
Ronald Reagan was famously snapped strutting on his way to Camp David in his cowboy boots and even John F. Kennedy was no stranger to sailing in his deck shoes. (ANI)
- Wearing flip-flops can be hazardous to health - Jul 29, 2010
- Step up your style with splash of colours this monsoon (Lifestyle Feature) - Jul 15, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Don't drive wearing flip-flops - Aug 11, 2010
- Sports ministry clears national camp after HI's flip-flop - Mar 05, 2012
- Despite shoe bites, Shahid shoots 'Teri Meri Kahaani' (With Image) - May 22, 2012
- Plastic or metal, toe rings catch up with city feet - Aug 11, 2010
- Leave casual footwear, cut-offs in closet: Tom Ford advises gentlemen - Mar 26, 2011
- British cabbies told to shed flab - Dec 20, 2010
- Amanda Holden poses as nude Marilyn Monroe in new shoe campaign - Apr 08, 2011
- Doubts about Obama's US citizenship ludicrous: Bill Clinton - Apr 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Facebook: The new battlefield in Bengal politics - Jul 22, 2012
- Mix of work and play for Obama's aides, reporters - Dec 29, 2010
- Chuck white this summer, don coloured accessories - May 03, 2012
Tags: barack obama, camp david, casual wear, cowboy boots, deck shoes, doug wead, fashion trend, footwear, honolulu, jane hampton, john f kennedy, new york post, presidential historian, ronald reagan, russian prime minister, snow cones, state of the union, stranger, toes, vladimir putin