President expresses ‘deep sorrow’ at deaths in Kabul attackJuly 8th, 2008 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday expressed “deep sorrow” at the deaths of four personnel of the Indian mission in Kabul in a suicide bombing attack Monday and condemned the “dastardly act of the terrorists”. In a statement issued here, she expressed “deep sorrow” on the passing away of military attache Brigadier R.D. Mehta, press counsellor V. Venkat Rao and two Indian security personnel Ajai Pathania and Roop Singh.
In the worst attack on any Indian mission to date, suicide bombers blew up a car laden with explosives at the entrance of the embassy in Kabul, killing 44 people, including the Indian personnel.
The president condemned the “dastardly act of the terrorists in which precious Indian and Afghan lives, including an Afghan working in the embassy, were lost.”
Patil conveyed her heartfelt condolences to the bereaved members of the families and sent her wishes for the speedy recovery of those who were injured in the attack.
- Two Indians killed in Afghan missile attack (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Indian embassy members safe: foreign secretary - Oct 08, 2009
- Two Britons among dead in Kabul attack - Oct 30, 2011
- 7 dead, 67 hurt in Kabul bombing outside Indian embassy (Lead) - Oct 08, 2009
- Afghan President Karzai terms Kabul blast a "heinous act of terror" - Oct 08, 2009
- PM shocked at Ahmed Karzai's assassination - Jul 12, 2011
- Some Indians hurt in Kabul bombing outside embassy: Indian envoy - Oct 08, 2009
- Indian team heads to Kabul to assess situation (Lead) - Jul 07, 2008
- Sonia expresses grief over Rajesh Khanna's demise - Jul 18, 2012
- Kabul attack handiwork of enemies of Indo-Afghan ties: India - Oct 10, 2009
- India condemns attack, sends team to Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2008
- Delhi blast: World rallies to India's support (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2011
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- EU condemns Afghanistan attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: brigadier, counsellor, dastardly act, deaths, deep sorrow, explosives, heartfelt condolences, indian security, kabul, mehta, military attache, New Delhi, president pratibha patil, rao, roop, security personnel, speedy recovery, suicide bombers, terrorists, venkat